1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Bike for GF?

Discussion in 'General' started by Sprinky, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Sprinky

Sprinky Well-Known Member

So...my girlfriend has decided that it's time for her to get out and start riding on her own. I may have helped it by saying that I had more fun on my bikes when she's not riding pillion. Opps :D She'll be taking her MSF course sometime in June.

What sayeth the beeb for a good first bike for her? She's not a speed freak, has no racing intentions ever, and would probably prefer more of a cruiser style. She has absolutely no idea of what she wants.

I want her to get into a bike that handles well, isn't very heavy, has good brakes, comfy, cheaper to insure, won't grow out of in a year, and won't break the bank.

I've got an F2 in the garage, but really I think that it maybe just a little too much for her to start on. There's no way in hell she's riding my HD. FWIW, I started on a clapped out CB400F and I couldn't be happier that I started that way.

I've thought about the SV650 route, but I've never ridden one. Been thinking maybe a Shadow? Older nighthawk? Hell, maybe even a Ninja 250? I don't want to buy a mid 70's bike and spend all my time messing around with it to get it to run right.

Someone out there has had to have the same type of situation.

Thanks

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

dirtbike with lights or an enduro.

3. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

gonna need pics to determine her size and figure and what will best fit her :D

4. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Ninja 250. Its light, low, cheap, bulletproof, and fun to ride. The perfect chick-bike.*

*Tampons not included.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Hard to say really. I'd try and take her somewhere she can sit on some different styles and sizes and see what fits best.

6. bitchcakes

bitchcakes reluctant member

Actually a really good suggestion. My gf has a Yamaha XT225 and she just loves that bike.

7. redtailracing

redtailracing gone tuna fishin'

^he would know :D

8. Sprinky

Hmm, never even thought about that. On the plus side, I could have some fun with that too!

9. DucatiBomber

DucatiBomber DJ Double A

+1

Taught my wife on a 1976 Suzuki GT185. Took her to open fields to learn the basics. She fell a bunch and even with gear on grass is much more forgiving than pavement. Biggest issue for females IMO is seat height. My wife is 5'6 so she is right on the border of only one foot touching flat on most modern sportbikes. The GT185 was nice and low (also relatively low weight)... If I was teaching anyone again I would go that route unless they had off road riding experience already...

Ride safe,
    AAron

10. Sprinky

I've been dragging her around to some different shops "just looking", the problem is she has no baseline to work from. She's pretty much relying on me for input, and quite frankly, I haven't ridden a lot of the smaller bikes to even know how they are. It's been a learning experience for me too.

11. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Older Ducati monster.. Only thing my 5'3 wife could fit with both feet on the ground

12. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

My dad gives me his Popular Mechanics when he's done reading them and a recent issue did a test of all the small bikes available right now (it had the new 250 Honda so it's pretty recent). Might want to look it up and have her read it. It lists all the pro's and con's etc.

On the cruiser side you have the Suzuki GZ250 and Yamaha Virago 250 (they still make it).

13. SBKBee

SBKBee Owner: FZ hotel

FZr400, SV650, early carbureted Monster. They are all bulletproof and easy to pick back up.

14. BigBird

BigBird blah

Hayabusa with NOS...I've heard it's the perfect beginner bike :p

I started with a Ninja 250R and it was a great bike. My wife who is 5'1 threw a leg over it and was able to put her foot down.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Get her a Suzuki Savage 650. When she outgrows it/leaves you for another man/woman, you can turn it into a Ryca.

[​IMG]

16. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I saved that article in Motorcyclist from a few months ago because I WILL build a RYCA one day!

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

monster 696 with abs

18. Sprinky

Hell, I might leave her for that. Me likey.

19. cincykid

cincykid Well-Known Member

My wife has a 2009 Ducati Monster 696 and the thing feels tiny on me, even I can sit flat footed, steers easy as hell, and really just feels like a fast moped. Not too pricey either for those. $5000 'ish. OR a Honda Shadow 600. Super small, super cheap, cruiser and super slow. great learner bike except for the 4 speed tranny.

20. Skits

Skits Well-Known Member

CRF230M Supermoto?

[​IMG]