1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ferguson v Khabib!!

Discussion in 'General' started by JBraun, Feb 21, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Weird. Or marketing genius.

JBraun likes this.
  2. XFBO

XFBO Well-Known Member

Supposedly, Michael Chiesa suffered several lacerations on his head, sounds like it might be enough for him miss the fight this w/e. One of the female fighters had a close call and finally I just saw a headline that says NYPD refutes the warrant claims....so who the hell knows what's going on and what might be exaggerated.

I agree to a certain degree that it could actually make him more money, I originally thought there might have been more serious injuries involved which I thought might result in a MMA ban (= no income) but if it's relatively minor then who knows.

I'm just bummed cuz I was a big fan for awhile and I can't stand those who lack class in this sport.

3. SteveThompson

SteveThompson Banned by amafan

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...lt-one-count-criminal-mischief-for-bus-attack

Well, it appears to be fairly serious. 3 fights canceled. Conor is in custody.

I still think Conor is a bit of an evil genius / self-promoter. His personal life doesn't seem to match all of the craziness he is involved in. He has NEVER been disrespectful to an opponent after a fight. He's still with his HS sweetheart even though he is now worth $100M. I was at his gym in Dublin last week. It is a very unassuming place. He's a hard guy to figure out, but I have to think this was all a calculated move. Might have miscalculated a little this time.

4. RNYC

RNYC Well-Known Member

I live right by the arena, and the precinct in charge of it. Lots of paparazzi outside the precinct this morning. They didn’t have him in the usual holding cell (it’s by a window), but he was prob either inside or expected shortly.

5. badmoon692008

badmoon692008 Well-Known Member

Max Holloway declared medically unfit... lost 3 fights yesterday... no way they don't cancel the event...

vizsladog likes this.
  6. SteveThompson

They are saying maybe Khabib v Pettis. Doesn't sound like a good idea to me. Pettis hasn't looked that great recently.

7. Bit more than a stunt, what an idiot.

8. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This sucks. I was worried about Holloway’s cut but didn’t think it would go this badly.

What a disaster. I love Anthony Pettis, he trains out of Duke’s camp in Milwaukee so he’s a homer for WI natives, but Khabib will murder him if he takes the fight.

Worst weekend for MMA in a while.

9. SteveThompson

They are saying it is almost certainly going to be Khabib vs Iaquinta.

10. SteveThompson

Pettis missed title fight weight.

11. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

SteveThompson likes this.
  12. vizsladog

vizsladog Well-Known Member

He didnt miss. He was pulled before he even weighed in. He was at 159 with a few hours left. Ufc and nysac pulled him because they thought his health was in danger. Offere dfight to pettis but he wanted more money and ufc said no. Paul Felder was next ,but nysac said he wasnt ranked high enough.

13. SteveThompson

Pettis did miss title weight. He was 155.2.

14. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

I don’t blame him one bit. Pettis needs a win. He’s lost 5 of his last 7 against really tough competition. Now they want to give him Khabib? No way I take that fight if I’m Pettis unless it’s life changing money.

So now the main event is going to be Khabib smashing the #12 guy for a title? Iaquinta’s losses have all been by submission. Think about what Khabib is going to do to him on the ground...

Imagine how much money the UFC is going to lose on this card...

15. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

You’re thinking of Iaquinta.

16. SteveThompson

https://www.mmafighting.com/2018/4/...edov-vs-al-iaquinta-is-new-ufc-223-main-event

It’s very confusing but Pettis was 155.2 and it is implied that he backed out because it then wouldn’t be a title fight (might be other reasons $$$). Iaquinta also weighed in at 155.2 therefore he is not fighting for the title but Khabib is. At least that is how it looks to me. This whole thing is ridiculous but kinda fun to watch play out.

17. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

Gotcha. Yeah it's a shit show.

The UFC needs to do something about the weight classes. 1FC has it dialed with their cutting rules and hydration tests.

The UFC needs to move up each class by 10 lbs, and do a weigh-in at contract signing for each fight. If a fighter has too much to cut, he can't fight. Weigh in, pass the hydration test, and fight. Somebody is going to die if they don't change it.

vizsladog likes this.
  18. SteveThompson

Totally agree. It definitely doesn’t make the show any better (probably makes it worse) and it’s terrible for the fighters.

vizsladog and JBraun like this.
  19. JBraun

JBraun Well-Known Member

This card is effing ridiculous. I almost forgive all the fuckery this week.

Imagine if Iaquinta puts Khabib to sleep in the 1st? They make movies out of that shit. :D

20. SteveThompson