1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellow computer nerds, hardware help

Discussion in 'General' started by 600 dbl are, Oct 14, 2019.

1. 600 dbl are

600 dbl are Shake Zoola the mic rula

Yesterday was time to tear the system down and flush/clean the custom water cooling loop. While I was at it, I decided to add another radiator and pump to run the CPU and GPU on their own custom loop. Why? Because I can (us nerds understand).

Everything went according to plan and I had the system put back together. I put the jumper on the 24 pin power terminal and plugged the power cable into the PSU. During re-assembly I must have accidentally bumped the power switch as the mother board lights came on when I plugged the PSU cable in. They immediately shut off and now the PSU will not power on at all.

My next step will be to unplug everything from the PSU and test just the PSU, but I won't be able to get to that until Tuesday.

Question for those that know, did I brick my PSU? Is there any hope?

Thanks in advance,

Erik

2. Nope. You bricked it.

3. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Unplug the PSU, and grab a paperclip. Looking at the big 24pin EATX connector find the lone green wire. It'll have a black ground wire on each side of it. With the PSU plugged into the mains and turned on if it has a switch, stuff that paperclip into the green wire hole and one of the adjacent black wire holes. The PSU should fire up. If it does, your PSU is not the culprit.

4. 600 dbl are

That's what the jumper is for. And it's not firing up.

[​IMG]

Another forum stated I probably blew the fuse. It's soldered on the PSU board but if I can find a replacement fuse I can swap it. Really not interested in dropping another $100+ on a power supply. :mad:

5. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Well crud, but at least there is a good chance the mobo/cpu survived then. $60 will get you an EVGA 600w at a local BestBuy. I'm using one in an OC'd 9900k / GTX1080 system and it's more than up to the task.

600 dbl are and BigBird like this.
  6. BigBird

BigBird blah

good to know, but daymmm that's some system...

surprised you haven't updated the gpu to go with all that cpu power.

7. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

So, the machine has a little history. My prior game box was an i7 3770k that started life with a GTX260. Built the system, reused an old video card. That got upgraded to a GTX460, and eventually I splurged and bought the 1080 when the 460 crapped out. Meanwhile I had a Gateway GT5404 that had been the ye olde family computer that decided to slag it's motherboard. This was after fitting a Radeon RX550 to it and the cheap EVGA powersupply over time to keep it limping along as a test machine.

Well... it had been 5 years since I had a new system... so I gutted the Gateway, pulled the GTX1080 from the other machine, and went a little overboard on reviving it. The RX550 went in the i7 for livingroom duty, and this box has been trucking along like a champ since. I'd love to stuff a 2000 series GTX in there but no reason to given the games I currently play, not much of a speed bump on older titles vs the 1080 I have now so, I'll just wait.

BigBird and 600 dbl are like this.
  8. 600 dbl are

Opinion time.

9900K OC to 5.1
    Taichi Ultimate
    two XPSC pumps
    Sound card
    USB expansion card
    15 fans (3 push on 360 rad, 6 push pull on 360 rad, 6 intake/exhaust)

I'm not sure I can get away with a 600W. Thoughts?

Before the tear down
    [​IMG]

9. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

Why all the fans if you've got water loops?

10. 600 dbl are

Most of the fans are for the radiators

11. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

On a side note, it's funny how much heat those things can produce. I could run a game for a few hours in a closed room and bring the temperature of the room up to make my ass sweat.