1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"fastest natural terrain road course"

Discussion in 'General' started by RxRC, Apr 2, 2012.

1. RxRC

RxRC Well-Known Member

2. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

As compared to the banking of Daytona.

3. inpayne

inpayne Well-Known Member

Road America??

4. blkduc

blkduc no time for jibba jabba

Brainerd is faster.

5. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Didn't Rad Grieves hit 200 mph on his frankenbusa at either Brainerd or Road America 11 or 12 years ago?

6. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Eli Edwards was radar'ed at 202mph a few years ago at Spokane County Motorsports Park. 9/10ths mile long straight.

7. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

The fastest official speed I know of was Duhamel on a superbike around 2003 @~198mph. If the AMA came back, I'm quite sure Hayes would hit 200+.

8. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

He didn't make it but was very close IIRC.. I was just talking about that rider/bike combo with Scott Brown the other day.

9. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

And that's where my SV650 hit 143mph but nobody will believe me.

10. John29

John29 Road racing since 1973

It "was," right? Aren't they using a modified course layout now?

11. Gigantic

Gigantic Maverick Moto Media

Rad was my roofing contractor when I had a construction company in Ann Arbor, mi years ago. He's a seriously cool dude.

12. caferace

caferace No.

This is one of those threads when I wish AMAfan wasn't still banned. :D

-jim

13. CB186

CB186 go f@ck yourself

There are 2 course available to run. The Donnybrooke course is the original long track. The Competition course is the short track that cuts off after T8 and connects back up at the exit of T1. The CRA uses the long course twice per year.

14. beechkingd

beechkingd Well-Known Member

Don't they usually use the lap record time vs. length of the track to determine average speed of the track to figure out that statistic?

15. Fireball

Fireball Well-Known Member

At one time Nelson Ledges was reported to have the fastest average speed.

16. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Okada hit over 200 mph with a NSR500 decades ago.

EDIT: Didn't see that North America reference. It was in Europe somewhere.

17. tophyr

tophyr Grid Filler

Usually, to determine "fastest track" - but in that case there's no short course in the world that can compete with real roads circuits. Most short-circuit courses (what WERA races on) have ~85-100mph average speeds. Roads courses such as the TT Course and the Dundrod Circuit (Ulster Grand Prix) have 130mph+ average lap speeds for the fastest riders.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2012
  18. blkduc

Chad, wasnt that speed clocked in the middle of T1? I thought several bikes were over 200mph before rolling off throttle and tipping into T1.

19. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

I seem to remember hearing something about BBostrom breaking the 200mph ceiling before tipping into T1 on the Duc, but don't hold me to it.

20. blkduc

Either way, if AMA or WSBK came back 200 would be shattered easily. Isn't Miller just pulling the old, "tallest rollercoaster" trick? No one will put forth the effort to contest the claim.