1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast Guy Question

Discussion in 'General' started by SmokeSignalRT, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

Ha ha ha. Yeah, I knew he crashed but when I came through 9 for the checkered, I never saw him..... Turns out he went in to the logging business.... Ha ha. Cause he was in the woods.... Cutting saplings or something.... :D

Kris87 likes this.
  2. Pants Romano

Pants Romano Well-Known Member

That's the exact opposite of my experience. Back when I started, there were very few (if any) track days. Bought a race-prepped Honda Hawk because I figured it was cheaper than crashing my street bike. I had never been on a track before "race school." Came off the track and said "That's so much fun, I can't believe it'a legal!" Never looked back.

I was very fortunate that I raced in the 00's as there was a ton of sponsorship and contingency available, even for club racers. It really offset the costs of racing, and we were able to avoid the money hole I saw a lot of others get into. Had a great time, got as good as I was going to get, and was able to walk away from racing when it became work instead of fun. Years after, I vividly remember the moment when I was at the track and realized I wanted to be somewhere else. I still miss racing, but know for certain that I quit at the right time for me. I still miss the racing, the focus, and especially the people who race. It was one of my favorite periods in my life so far.

As for the OP's question, I do think that there are some people who have "it" when it comes to racing. Guys who can go out on your bike and turn faster laps than you. Have you ever seen old footage of pro players in high school? Something like that. In my experience, at the club level, equipment makes a difference up to a point, i.e. tires, suspension, motor. After that, the law of diminishing returns applies and you simply run out of talent. :)

V5 Racer and JBall like this.