1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

False wall for storage

Discussion in 'General' started by DonDDR, Sep 26, 2014.

1. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

Moving to a new place, dont have an official safe. Need a place to hide stuff. I want to frame in a wall in the back of the bedroom closet. 8 or 10" deep so the ammo cans can sit on the floor, shelves and racks on the wall. Easy enough. My question is how to make an accessible door that doesnt look like a door. Hidden hinges and lock. Electronic release? How to hide the gaps of the door so it can swing open and not look like there is an access in the wall? I can make the door the size of the opening, below the hanger pole, so the gaps would be on the edge where it meets the wall and not a cut out in the middle. I looked on the web and some of the paranoid prepper sites to no avail. Anyone have done this or ideas?

2. colin96

colin96 Well-Known Member

I suspect you'll have to design the door to swing into the hidden space, and trim out the frame to remain in place. So that when you open and shut the door it leaves the trim/molding in place in the corners.

Research secret doors.

3. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

So you have room to make it a pocket door?

That could solve your problem with clearances

4. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

We've done them out of raised panels, bead board, stone, book cases etc. The problem is, you need to have some sort of pattern, or disguise, which would stand out by only doing it on one wall...in a closet.

What is the length of the wall you want to put it on? I'm envisioning it at the narrow end of a long closet.

How high is the lowest hanging rod?

5. BC

BC Well-Known Member

Do a cedar closet, with the back cedar wall being a pocket door.

6. Wingnut

Wingnut Well-Known Member

I looked at a house for sale a few years back that had a woman's vanity desk against a wall and the mirror above the vanity that was attached to the wall popped out with magnet spring loaded closures. Never would have noticed if the Realtor hadn't shown it.

7. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Had a house on my orkin route that had a hidden wine celler behind a book case. The current owners used it for storage. Had a hidden button under the shelf. Was pretty cool. Even with the light inside on and the book case closed, you couldn't seen any light from it even if the normal room was dark.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

9. Eric_77

Eric_77 Well-Known Member

10. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

It is going to be at the end of a long closet. The rod is about 5ft up with a board across behind it. So the door is going to be 4ft something tall and 26" deep. I am liking the pocket door idea, I believe the closet for the bedroom next to it is the rest of what makes up that wall so it would slide into the end wall of that closet. I could trim it out and one would never see the gaps.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Use wainscoting. You can frame several panels in the walls and use inside hinges or a sliding track

12. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

I was thinking of that also, the stuff is all over the living room so it wouldnt look out of place.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

In the closet? Are you going to put it in other closets too? Who are you hiding this stuff from? Thieves, kids, cops?

14. DonDDR

DonDDR Well-Known Member

Only one other closet and I can get the stuff cheap. I know it seems like it would look odd to a normal person but no to thieves. We rented a house in an odd place and the hood seems a little sketchy. Trying to cut back so we can get a down for something not in a hood.

15. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Do I really need to point out the flawed logic here?