1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Falls church, VA fishing

Discussion in 'General' started by r6fast, Aug 20, 2023.

1. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I have a friend who is battling cancer that lives in Falls Church, VA. I am trying to find a place to take him fly fishing, but being from PA I have no idea what's down that way. He is having a tough time getting around so trying to find something easily accessible. There's not much listed on fishbrain but that doesnt mean there isnt a hidden gem. Does anyone fish in that area.

2. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Trout? In this immediate area or are you willing to drive?
    I’m not a fisherman but I’ll ask around.

3. HPPT

HPPT !!!

I don't know anything about fishing but Falls Church is that the first place that crosses my mind for that. That's Metro DC. Don't you need to get far away from big cities for that kind of stuff?

4. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

The Occoquan is the first place I think of around there, but I don’t really fish so not 100%. A coworker is around there, and I can ask tomorrow. Avid hunter and into fishing a little. He may know

r6fast likes this.
  5. tony 340

tony 340 Well-Known Member

I have nothing in that area, but will be fly fishing the betsie in about 3 weeks for salmon.

The Platte river is only 20 min drive if the betsie isn't hitting

My favorite guys trip of the year. So simple. So much fun

6. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

We can drive a little ways, he gets sick in a car so trying to keep it to a minimum if possible.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Brit, I was thinking of Occoquan and maybe great falls park. No idea on how good it is.

anyways, I’ll ask around tomorrow.

r6fast likes this.
  8. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

Able-bodied? Able to wade in a river? Riverbend Park for smallmouth and whatever else is hanging out. You won't be catching trout anywhere around here until winter when a few places get stocked.

r6fast likes this.
  9. zamboiv

zamboiv Well-Known Member

r6fast likes this.
  10. fossil

fossil Well-Known Member

Not fly fishing, but Burke Lake is really near Falls Church, and you can fish for bass and sunfish there. You'll need a jon boat with an electric trolling motor.

r6fast likes this.
  11. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

I think as long as it's knee deep he'd be able to. I figured trout this time of year would be tough to do. Thanks for the information.

12. britx303

Coworker is recommending the same mentioned places. If the friend in question is a veteran, there’s a local nonprofit that’s taking vets w/cancer out to fish. My coworker has helped line up dying vets with th fishing, through his legion. I can post up the info

r6fast likes this.
  13. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

He is not but thank you for the information.

britx303 likes this.
  14. SVbadguy

SVbadguy I survived the Mt Course

With the lack of rain the river should be really low through there. Upriver from the park there are lots of rocks to hop between so you don't need to stay in the water. They also create the eddies where the fish are waiting.

britx303 and r6fast like this.
  15. britx303

Wish I could have had more for y’all. Best wishes for the excursion, and catch the ones I never do……….:D

16. prm

prm Well-Known Member