1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Christmas trees

Discussion in 'General' started by surfingsk8r, Nov 19, 2013.

1. When I was in college I ran an ad in the local paper for a "Christmas Tree removal service" (real trees).

I put in the ad that we wanted the trees for our farm and I would come pick up the trees from their house after Christmas Holidays, free of charge. But I went to work early in the morning, so if somebody wanted me to come get their tree, they would need to call between 5am-7am before I went to work. Just call me, give me an address and I will come get it, no charge.

....then I put a friend's number in the ad. :D

He said fuckers were calling and waking him up every day, over and over, for like 2-3 weeks, being like "hey come get my Christmas tree". :crackup:

2. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

3 miles up the road? More like 1.5 miles to my local farm where we buy every year!:up: In addition, my wife would rather help out a local farmer than give $$ to one of the big box stores.

3. surfingsk8r

surfingsk8r Well-Known Member

I appreciate all of the advice here guys. I especially have taken notes on the points about the fire hazard I would have thought a tree in water would not have lit up so fast and seeing as how I just moved into my new home I definitely don't wanna risk a fire so I actually feel a bit better about getting a fake one. Additionally the points made about the cost over a period of time and how to still get the scents of a real tree are also helpful.

So far I have looked in Sears, Home Depot and Lowes at fake trees and the only one I liked so far was at Sears. Are there other stores that carry them I should visit.

Also Chris that's messed up but really funny.

Thanks everyone for the advice and keep it coming please.

4. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

I'm sure some of you have Broome's number.:crackup:

5. njracer

njracer Well-Known Member

Do you have any family owned garden centers near you? We have one a few miles from the house that has a TON of fake trees. Unfortunately, most of the fake trees are very very expensive with some of them well over $500!

6. surfingsk8r

There is one nearby and as a matter of fact I just met the owner a few weeks ago at a party my neighbor was having. Real nice guy I wouldn't have thought of a nursery as a place to get a fake tree. Ill check it out. Thanks

7. Tristan

Tristan Well-Known Member

Frasier fir for me (if I get around to putting up anything). I find it amusing a racing forum is so full of Smoky The Bear nut huggers... most racers I know would still be fueling their endurance bikes while seated on the running bike had WERA not (wisely) disallowed it.

Now that I know how combustable they are I'm for sure getting a real one since I have a bigass firepit in the back yard...might even collect some of them from the curb after the holidays.

8. Mr Sunshine

Mr Sunshine Banned

:up:

9. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

Real trees go up like a bomb. In many areas home fires spike around the holidays, though cold weather and space heaters surely contribute also. As a landlord, I am terrified of Christmas and July the Fourth.

10. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Have Broome write you up a ad. :crackup:

11. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

We do both. A real tree that all the crap is piled under, and a few fake ones scattered about in windows and on the front porch. Christmas rocks at our house.:cool:

12. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

:stupid:

Somewhat slow to start, but once they light look the eff out.

13. jp636

jp636 Yellow Turd

Target
    Home Goods
    Kirklands
    Big Lots
    KMart
    Amazon
    eBay

14. Razr

Razr Well-Known Member

My wife has 4-5 smaller trees scattered around in addition to the large one, sounds odd but looks cool:up:

15. Go for it, my phone is always on vibrate anyway and i dont own a land line. :D

I can hook him up. :crackup:

16. surfingsk8r

Thank you for the suggestions I will likely avoid the Internet based sites because I like to put my hands on what I'm buying. I was actually in home goods the other day for dishes and didn't see any trees there but ill have to take another trip as it gets closer to the holidays. Thanks again.

17. jb_11

jb_11 Well-Known Member

Plan for next year now, and buy one just after Christmas at a steep discount.

18. Our tree from my first year in the navy. 1997

It was my first and last Xmas tree as an adult.

[​IMG]