1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F4i Clip-ons

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Eck, Apr 6, 2004.

1. Eck

Eck Older, wiser, but still addicted to roadracing

I have a stock triple tree with CFM clip-ons and stock forks. I bought my bike from another racer and the clip-ons are mounted above the triple tree. Is this how anyone elses clip-ons are mounted?

Also, I've finally gotten pretty comfortable on the bike and have the suspension pretty close. Although I probably need to have everything re-sprung and valved to my weight, but I'm hoping this is the last year for this bike so I'm not going to sink too much money in it. But I'm concerned that I'm not getting all the way to the edge of the front tire. There's probably a 3 mm wide chicken strip left. I've run 2 brands of tire with the same result. Could this be from improper chassis geometry? Or maybe my suspension needs a little more tweaking?

I know there's no simple answer, but any help is appreciated :beer:

--Adam

2. Rocketmann#67

Rocketmann#67 Well-Known Member

That is the same way that I have the clip-ons on my F4I. If you put them below there's not much room to turn side to side. Hell if Duhamel can ride it like that so can I.

As for the front tire I think I went down 7mm in the front and put 6mm of shim on the back shock. Seems to work pretty good. I think once you get faster you will have to lean the bike over more thru the turns and that 3mm will go away. The suspension work will help with confidence and then the speed will come. I did my whole front end and it's like night and day difference.

3. Eck

Ya, its kind of wierd. I had a stock 929 that I was destroying tires with. Mostly because the stock suspension was no where near correct, but I had no trouble eating away the sidewalls.

I guess patience & seat time would help alot.

Thanks for the advice and insight :)

--Adam

4. F4iRacer

F4iRacer Well-Known Member

I have vortex clipons and they are above the triple tree... wasn't till the 600RR that they put them under the triple tree...

5. clipons

Yah they go up top. You can put I think VFR clipons underneath, and you might could even put the stock or Vortex underneath but you'll have to run without the ram air covers on the bike. I ran Vortex on mine and put the right under the metal retainer clip, with the triple clamp right under the clipons...at this setup it puts the front about 10mm lower then stock if I remember right. The Vortex are thicker then the stock clipons so therefore lowers the front if you set it up the way I just mentioned. As for forks...if your interested I am selling my F4i and I put it all back stock for the most part. Anyway, I have the race forks still on the bike and was looking for someone that was interested in trading me their stock forks for my fully re-sprung and revalved forks + $250 cash. Even at dealer cost I couldn't buy all the stuff needed to do a fully race prepped forks. I've done some special things inside also that normally don't get done so if your interested let me know. The bike is up forsale at our dealership and I have several people that are trying to come up with the money and new people looking at it every day. So let me know asap if your interested. The springs are .85kg, and have both rebound and compression gold valves installed, fresh oil as well.

6. Eck

Thanks for all your insight guys. I'm glad I didn't try to move the clip-ons under the triple tree because I probably would have moved them right back.

You guys rock! :beer:

--Adam

7. kmfegan

kmfegan Well-Known Member

I put Blackbird clip ons on the F4i's that I work on.

They install under the clamp so there is no need to extend the forks. They have some built in rise to them so they are not as low as aftermarket clip on or the stock ones if they are installed under the clamp. They are lower than stock ones or aftermarket clip ons installed above the top clamp.

I modify the clip on so I can pull it right up against the upper clamp.