1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F3 Oil ...Whats good?

Discussion in 'General' started by Prov431, Feb 4, 2002.

1. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

I know this is killer topic...but I would like a few opinions on what oil y'all use to race the F3. Synthetic, regular automotive, and what grade /weight. I would appreciate it a lot.
    I plan on changing the oil everyrace day, and the filter every other.

------------------
    Dan
    #180 NESBA ~ N.C.
    96 CBR F3 Track
    00 ZX9R Street
    [email protected]

2. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Keep it simple. Use Mobil 1 synthetic auto oil. You can by it anywhere and for less than $4.00 a quart. Your clutch won't slip and the trans won't break it down. Don't spend the extra $3 a quart for "Motorcycle oil" the only differences are the additive packages and the stuff won't be in the bike long enough to matter.

3. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

What grade would you recommend? (no cold weather riding....not that cold anyway)

------------------
    Dan
    #180 NESBA ~ N.C.
    96 CBR F3 Track
    00 ZX9R Street
    [email protected]

4. Eddie845

Eddie845 E-LO FRM THE BLOCK

I would like to know this as well for a 97 gixxer 6. How about Mobil 1?

5. Tex

Tex Well-Known Member

I used Yamalube in my YZF. We used motul in the F3. both bikes were enduranced, and both did great in the Texas heat.

6. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Stay close to manufacturers recomendations, probably 10/40 or 10/30.

7. Prov431

Prov431 I know WU

Sweet....I appreciate the quick replies. Y'all rock.

------------------
    Dan
    #180 NESBA ~ N.C.
    96 CBR F3 Track
    00 ZX9R Street
    [email protected]

8. GStar

GStar Dark Helmet

I agree with BC61, keep it simple. I run Valvoline Durablend, it works great. Its cheaper than that speciality shit at your local dealer, and you'll be able to find this stuff in Wal-Mart at midnight on a race weekend.

9. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Well-Known Member

Check the oil temp. after a good hard sprint or Solo 20 because it may help you determine which weight. I have use Mobil 1 exclusively (except during break in) in both 10/30 and 15/50 weights. My bike is and FZR400 so I tend to opt for the 10/30 to cut down on "drag". I use 15/50 in my street ZX6ooR and YZF600. Never have had any clutch problems or wear/fatigue issues.

10. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

so you guys use car oil without any problem? from what i have been told that is what not to use, however you guys don't have any problems? is that what most people use? it sure would be easier and cheaper, kent.

11. huffdaddy

huffdaddy Well-Known Member

we use red line and it has proven beyond any doubt in my mind this stuff is worth more than 10.00 a quart... I have seen engines that should blow up run on this stuff. heard inside stoires of hp and this oil it just works and the gsxr tranies are wear prone opies was torn down and the enginge guy asked him what in the world he ran for oil. He just was floored that it ran all season with no wear in the trans.

12. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Only use a top quality synthetic auto oil, conventional oil isn't the best for the trans.

13. Number400

Number400 Well-Known Member

of course, I use AMSOIL. "motorcycle specific" yes! http://www.amsoil.com/products/amf.htm

It is worth a look to see what it offers, plus it has a comparo chart against spectro and other oils.

BTW, most cars do not have the transmission using the engine oil too! There are reasons for motorcycle specific oil. Wear is not obvious the the average eye when using any oil...the longterm, HP increase, drain interval should be factored in, not just "always works in my bike".

One more thing, how many racers actually use oil analysis on their racebike oil? I test my car every other oil change. I will test my roadbike too.

[This message has been edited by Number400 (edited 02-05-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Number400 (edited 02-05-2002).]

14. kangasj

kangasj Banned

That Redline is pretty damn good. We were running an endurance over in St. Louis last summer when the bike lost its coolant. The guy that was riding at the time didn't notice the temp. gage skyrocketing and ran it till she died. That poor motor got so hot that the wiring harness
    melted to the valve cover and the plastic oil pickup was a puddle in the pan. I didn't see any galling/damage to the cams or cylinder walls. Piston skirts were cracked but can't blame that on the oil. Stuff sure does stink when it gets that hot. Smelled like a skunk crawled in the motor and died. Good shit!

15. Number400

Thats cause synthetic is made from animal fats! [​IMG]

16. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

Yes, Amsoil is excellent stuff, and I also use it. But for something that works great, is readily available (everywhere/anytime of day) and affordable you can't beat Mobil 1.

And yes we do occassionally use Mobil 1 as a qualifying oil in our race car transmission.

As far as analysis, I know engineers that get payed big bucks to do this. I'll take thier word on it.

17. Number400

Oil analysis kits are $19.95, shipping both ways is included...

18. roy826ex

roy826ex Been around here a while

I have been using Spectro 10w40 regular for 5 years with no problems. I change it every other trip to the track. Cost $3.25 a qt. locally. I have also used Suzuki Performance 4 oil & was happy with it as well except for the fact that the trannys usually shifted stiff for the 1st hundred miles or so. It cost $2.65 a qt. locally. I like the Spectro better.

19. Kendall

Kendall Well-Known Member

You guys should be using Silkolene as they pay 600/750's....I would use it if they offered it for the lightweight bikes....

Support the supporters.

20. BC61

BC61 Well-Known Member

I use thier chain lube. [​IMG]