1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F1, Abc

Discussion in 'General' started by cedestech, May 26, 2002.

1. cedestech

cedestech Well-Known Member

They should leave it to Speed Channel.
    The coverage and comentators suck!!

David Hobbs for president!

Emmett Dibble.

2. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

i thought the same thing, especially the guy in the pit lane, it seemed like was never there before.

3. rfknight

rfknight P-Star

The "guy" in pit lane was Daniel J. Sullivan III of Louisville, Kentucky. Winner of the 1985 Indiapolis 500.

He wasn't a great commentator though. He also needs to work on his interview skills. The one he conducted with Bernie Eccelstone prior to the start of the race was really weak.

Danny is to be commended though for heading up the Red Bull program looking to bring an American driver back into F1.

4. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

That was coverage of an F1 race? I thought it was a Red Bull infomericial. :-(

Best line by one of the commentators was saying a driver experienced a "tank slapper" when his car was a bit out of control. I thought you had to be on a motorcycle to do that.

5. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

You guys need ITV in the worst way - they're coverage rocks!!!

6. cedestech

wind what?

And what in the heck was that wind surfer thing during the pre race?
    No roll off , no nothing. Straight from fluf to red lights
    going on.
    I'm e-mailng ABC sports right now.

Emmett.

7. cedestech

address

This is what I wrote....

<<What in the hell were you thinking? If you are going to
    cover one of the most prestigious autoracing events
    steeped in history and tradition on the planet then why didn't you cover it?
    Danny Sullivan stumbling through a interview with Bernie? No roll off?
    Pre race show consisted of
    some guy windsurfing and
    buzzing around the harbor
    on a jet ski! If you are trying to expose the pinicle
    of motorsport to the public
    why not get into some of the
    technical aspects of the cars?
    How they differ from the IRL and Cart cars people are used to seeing? How the track is
    the most technical and unforgiving of all the tracks
    in the series. How the traditions of the race have the royalty presenting the
    trophies. I mean I could go on for hours and I am not a
    "program director" or have
    any idea on how you go about putting a program together.
    I do know about F1 and
    even if I didn't I assure you
    that as a person being exposed to a for of racing
    for the first time I'd
    appreciate a little insite.
    I'm not lying when I say that I have recieved a deeper understanding and insite
    to lawnmower racing than what I recieved from your
    F1 coverage. Please, leave
    it to the Speed Channel if you are not going to do it
    propperly.

Thank You,

Emmett Dibble
    [email protected]>>>

And this is where youcan if you choose.

http://espn.go.com/abcsports/askabcsports/

Emmett.

8. apexspeed

apexspeed Well-Known Member

well, it WAS better than no coverage but they could learn alot from speedvision.. and I agree, David Hobbs is the best in the bz. nice to see D. Coulthard win though.

BTW a "tank slapper" is when the fuel sloshes side to side in the tank, the more fuel on board the worse it can get... the extra amount of lateral momentum the fuel has when sloshing can cause you to loose it because it has a delayed effect and just when you think you have re-attained traction... whoops! its really bad in cars that have a rear mounted and un-baffeld tank! (Imagine that on a bike)

9. gixer1100

gixer1100 CEREAL KILLER

I figured the "guy" in pit lane must know something about the racing, however i didn't know his name. Unfortunatley he didn't demonstrate any of that knowledge, he was monotoned, and boring to hear. but if that was his first time, then he could get better.

10. YamahaRick

YamahaRick Yamaha Two Stroke Czar

I had never, ever heard the term used during a car race. Bike races yes, but never a four wheeled event.

Since they mentioned it so many times, I believe the guy's first name was "Red," and his last name was "Bull." :)

From what I gather, ABC will "cover" the Canadian and US rounds as well. I pity the thought.

11. projekt9

projekt9 der Klugscheißer

"That Guy"

Oh boy...

Well Mr. Sullivan is no commentator, for sure. But, he was the 1988 CART champion and 1985 Indy 500 champion.

Drove for all the best teams in the day...Penske, Galles, and Pat Patrick Racing as well.

He started out in F3 in Jolly 'ol England then moved into Can-Am cars where he wound up third in 1981 behind Teo Fabi and Geoff Brabham. In 1983 he drove for The Tyrrell Benetton team.

He only did F1 for one year then went back to CART.

Also, 1994 he co-drove for Porsche and finished 3rd in the 24 hour of LeMans.
    Not too shabby a career for that guy....

The funny thing is, you think his on screen appearances and his interviewing skills would be better, because he tried his hand at acting. He was on a daytime soap, then he did Miami Vice, and occasional appearances on other prime time shows in the 80's.
    But, he must have forgot how to act in front of the cameras!

It was painful to watch and listen to him and Bernie together.

12. Due North

Due North Source of Insanity

There are no "tanks" in Formula 1. All cars are required to be fitted with "...single rubber bladders conforming to or exceeding FIA/FT5-1999...." Anyone experiencing a tank slapper should report to the stewards right away!!!:D