1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

F-22 Grounded

Discussion in 'General' started by Resident Plarp, May 5, 2011.

1. BigHeadzDC

BigHeadzDC One Track Wonder

137 of them.. but yeah.. not a lot.

The F-22 is still the baddest MoFo in the air. It hasn't seen any combat because air superiority has never been an issue in any of the conflicts we've seen in recent memory.

2. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

There are a 137 commandments now?

Wow! I gotta get a bible update...

:D

3. GSVR 946

GSVR 946 Banned

Yes, the JSF consolidates all the needs of many allied countries, majority of whom wouldn't have touched the F-22.

Nothing has changed.

4. BigHeadzDC

The F-35 is more desirable because the F-22 is not designed to be a ground pounder. Smaller countries can't afford separate A/A and A/G platforms. While the guy in the bubble is the most important factor, the F-22 is on paper a MUCH better A/A platform than the F-35.

When initially briefed on the F-22 capabilities at Red Flag, many of the aggressor pilots were audibly gasping in awe at some of the numbers. A sustained turn rate more than 7 degrees per second better than the F-16, time to accelerate to best corner speed from 200 kts is 40% better than even the F-15. Truly, unless a Raptor pilot does something VERY stupid, anyone they fight is dead.

It's pretty telling that in ALL Red Flag engagements under standard conditions, the F-22 has never even been locked up, let alone killed. In fact, most pilots were 'dead' before they even knew the F-22 was in the area.

The ONLY time an F-22 was killed was when 'dead' enemy pilots were allowed to re-enter the fight without losing visual on the target.

5. Resident Plarp

Resident Plarp drittsekkmanufacturing.com

Shit!

:D

6. BigHeadzDC

LOL.. that's what I get for not completely reading the post.. I thought someone made a joke that there were only 10 F-22's around.. hehe.

7. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

Even though the f22 is a bit pricey it's nice at least one branch has a true fighter unlike that terd the NAVY has now.Growing up a big fan the naval aviation it pains me to know the navy really doesn't have a true fighter anymore.They have a good, not great 4th generation plane(Superhornet) being passed off as 5th generation.Nothing super about that terd.

8. JD¹³

JD¹³ Turbo Slow

The Super Hornet is far from a turd, it's a great multi-role fighter though it is still just a 4th Gen. Even the regular Hornet out-performed dedicated air-to-air fighters like the F14/15/16 during the heydays of the NFWS.

9. Marc Camp

Marc Camp Well-Known Member

I guess i should say it's a terd in the aspect that its being presented as a 5th generation plane.The standard hornet is a great plane but it's not out of it's league either like the superhornet.

10. RoadRacerX

RoadRacerX Jesus Freak

Something tells me that something as small as an O2 problem will be fixed in a matter of days. I'm kind of surprised that SAT monitors on pilots weren't used in flight testing.

11. Lee#144

Lee#144 Track Newbie

Kind of late joining this, I'm up here at Elmo and I think your grounding may have been an ACC thing but I can assure you both SQs up here have been flying and the 25k ceiling I'll have to ask about that I hadnt heard that. Our alert mission up here has been pretty busy this year with multiple intercepts of real world threats as well as other places within the AOR. We were just getting over the horrible summer class A with 173 when we lost Capt Haney but there is still quite a bit of speculation in terms of disorientation and potential causes but to be honest until the clean-up and the report is finalized it's still speculation. The 525 just set a sortie milestone in raptor world a few weeks ago!