1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with Kenda Kwick KD1s?

Discussion in 'Mini Racing' started by aftriathlete, May 8, 2020.

1. aftriathlete

aftriathlete Well-Known Member

Anyone have track experience with the Kenda Kwick 12” tires? Planning on trying them out this weekend with parking lot drills and going to set up a cone track. Any cold pressure recommendations? Website info is sparse, just says 33 max psi for the 130 rear and 120 front combo.

2. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

I ran them same pressures as the TT93s I had before which was around 18-20 psi hot depending on the temperature and surface. They were withing a few tenths of the 93s for me but I was not on the ragged edge with either tire - someone with more skill could have gone faster on both sets of tires for sure - I am decidedly midpack pace at best around the local kart track. Once pushed to that last few percentages, the results may be a little different.

3. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I have them on my z125. Great DOT tire for the price. I run the spec pressure for the street. For parking lot stuff I start with 16 psi front and rear. Seems to work. No idea about on the track pressures I haven’t gotten there yet with it.

4. aftriathlete

Thanks for the input fellas. I got out last weekend for parking lot “track” riding, but the batteries in my nice MotionPro digital tire gauge exploded, so I just went off the crappy little gauge on my bike pump. 18-19 psi according to that, but who knows. Next time out I’ll have my gauge back up and hopefully can start to experiment with the pressures a bit. I had a minute where I thought I wanted to get warmers, but I don’t think I’m going to assume that level of hassle to take a generator out with me to do parking lot drills and kart track racing, so I’ll be messing with cold pressures.

5. cfaddict

cfaddict carbonated

I've raced with them a good bit and have also used stock tires, and pirellis on the grom. I'm at the point of sliding both front and rear controlled around some fast corners and going to be moving to slicks but these tires have been really great and with pressures around 16-20 depending on track temp have worn great. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

aftriathlete likes this.
  6. aftriathlete

The kart track racing series out here got delayed due to COVID, so I really haven’t gotten to test these tires out much yet beyond a couple days ripping around a parking lot. But this series does require DOT legal tires, which limits the options somewhat. With that said I already bought a second set of the Kenda’s to put on when this first set wears out.

7. zx250r

zx250r Well-Known Member

I use them and like them. Nothing to compare to and I'm slow though. They are coming it with kd2 soon

cfaddict likes this.
  8. JBowen33

JBowen33 Only fast on Facebook

I finally got the chance to use them at a kart track day. They were pretty awesome.

cfaddict likes this.
  9. cfaddict

cfaddict carbonated

Good to hear! Here is a pic of a good buddy of mine on kendas....they're amazing for the price![​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

DmanSlam likes this.
  10. 802in614

802in614 Member

I know this is months late, but the KD1 is a good tire, the KD2 (which I had the opportunity to test this past summer) is a huge step up. The KD2 is a totally different tire and has really great feel - there is a good bit more lean angle with the KD2 as well since the profile is completely different compared to the KD1. Another huge step forward is that the KD2 will slide before it lets lose, and it tells you it's sliding, the KD1 gave a tiny bit of warning before it let go but not much. I set PBs on 3 tracks this year on the KD2's and really have nothing bad to say about them. They do wear a bit faster than the KD1, but that's due to the compound being softer and stickier, so a fair trade-off.

11. sharky nrk

sharky nrk Rubber Side Up

^^ I didn't even know a KD2 was even a thing .... nice - who is stocking these yet?

12. aftriathlete

Same, I haven’t been following the new tires lately. I still have another new set of the KD1’s sitting in the closet so I’ll check these out when I burn these ones up.