1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience in the Rain is Unreal..............

Discussion in 'Race Reports' started by motorcycleman, Mar 19, 2003.

1. motorcycleman

motorcycleman Well-Known Member

I have been a novice for a year and a half and i have only ever been on water once until last weekend at VIR. I can't stress enough how water will let you know how smooth you really are. I had rain tires on for the first time and i learned a major leason, and that was that they lose grip as the race goes on. I started in the 600 solo 12 lap race in the second wave 11th row. I could not believe that by turn 6 i was in first place and for two laps i was not ready to lead, since it made me so nervous i crashed in turn 16 on the down hill. If i could have just chilled out and stayed in second i could have seen how the pace was going to be. The moral to the story is have patience and i will promise your results will better from it......................if i would've, could've, should've............just kicked my self for crashing in first place........ If you are a novice like me, take your time and enjoy the race............it doesn't last long enough as it is so don't rush the outcome......... I am going to try harder to be smart next time, so i hope you don't make my mistake... John Pelphrey 185 novice

2. Jeffro510

Jeffro510 Hand bra for hire!!!!

Good points. Stick with it and be patient. Racing in the rain is fun once you get used to it. As long as it is completely wet though the rain tires will last no problem. Well, at least the Bridgestones will. We raced the entire 4 hour endurance final at Road Atlanta last year on one set of rains and they still felt just as good on the last lap as they did at the start of the race. If it starts to dry out at all, look out. They will burn up quickly if they don't stay wet. Congrats on leading the race, that is awesome. I guess I will have more competition in the 600 expert class next year from you. Great, just what I need...:rolleyes:

Jeffro

3. motorcycleman

having too much fun

Leading is so fun ..............i just hope i get to do it more..........i did hurt the bike a little but it was still so much fun to be out in the front..............i envy all you guys that have won a race and i hope i win one this year..............thanks all you guys for letting me follow you all around............john 185 novice

4. Geologic Racing

Geologic Racing New Member

John,

Good points about racing in the rain. You seem like a heads up racer. I was getting dialed in at VIR and took notice of your progress. Very impressive. I can help you if you want, I am in the process of developing a team to be extremely competative in WERA. My goal is to run AMA in approximately 2 years and I am looking to bring on a total of 5 riders and you seem to fit the mold perfect.

Questions I have are: Do you have any experience on a bike larger than a 600 cc? Specifically, can you handle a gsxr 1000? What race experience do you have and what is you best race result? Finally, what amount of financial compensation would you require to commit to my team?

I look forward to you response to my post.

Thank you,

Jack Parrish

5. T.J. Smith

T.J. Smith Active Member

Geologic Race Team

Jack, I have been racing for about a year and a half and was at VIR this past weekend. I slid around in the Middleweight Solo 12 for about 10 laps on DOT's before I decided that was enough. Sunday I fitted rain tires and was in 2nd place for the first 3 laps and spinning it up all over the track. I decided to take it a little easier and was able to manage a 4th in C Superbike Novice. What kind of a team are you trying to put together? I rode in an endurance race last year as a stand in rider for one who couldn't make it and had a great time. Financial compensation would not be necessary as I just love to ride and eventually racing in an AMA pro event is my goal. E-mail me with any info.

T.J. Smith

6. KevinVanceSalemVA

KevinVanceSalemVA Crazy Longhair Racin SOB

<---Willing Rider

Kevin Vance
    Salem, VA

5-6 years off-and-on racing experience(all Novice) mostly on an under-tuned, under-tractioned, under-powered machine

2 race wins, quite a few seconds(inc. 1 national), quite a few thirds(inc. 1 national), many 4th, 5th, and top 10s

Willing to ride under almost any circumstance!

2003 WERA Novice #22, Mid-
    Atlantic/Southeast/Northeast Region

[email protected]
    [email protected]

7. motorcycleman

Hey Jack about your race team

I am always open to new ideas and i as well am going to the AMA in a year or two. In the North Central which is my region that i race in: i usually always finish in the top 7. I have raced a full season which was my first and i got about 15 top tens my first year. I did one weekend last year cause of Nursing school and i got sixth or seventh in every race in 600 and 750 both stock and superbike. I do have experience on a 750 since i plan on entering the AMA in the superstock class. Although formula extreme looks good too. I am a Novice at the present and i am sure this will be my last year as a Novice because i am doing the whole season and i have multiple bikes so i plan on getting the track time i need. I am in the ball park at having good times at all the tracks i practice at, so i look to finish in the top 5 in points in the North Central this year. The top five guys have moved up in class so i have a good reason to work twice as hard to win a championship this year. I am interested in racing with you Jack and email me to discuss your plans more in [email protected] john My first real race for the year is at Barber in ALA. so look for me in the top 5......................keep your fingers crossed for me...........good luck and give me your riding number and region you race so i can watch you.................thanks man........later

8. T-Shirt Racing

T-Shirt Racing Well-Known Member

Hey Jack! It's my first year racing & I'm not very fast... But I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express (at VIR a couple of weeks ago!):)
    I've got a couple of things going for me that I thought you might want to know, 1st my name is John too, eliminates a lot of confusion. 2nd although I'm not very smooth, I'm slow. This works in your favor due to how pretty and clear the pictures and sponsor shots turn out. Think about how blurry the pictures will be if all you have on your team is fast guys. :p So you see with qualifications like these I eagerly await your reply. John (the other one);)

9. jeffrop

jeffrop Well-Known Member

Thought I would chime in here since I had my first wet track time this year at Jennings. I got to run my rains in practice on Sunday and had a blast doing it! I was actually looking forward to racing in the wet but, alas, the weather cleared and we had a dry track after lunch.

I only broke loose one time and managed to stay on top of the bike (literally climbed up on the tank to avoid a highside). I'm no longer concerned about racing in the wet, as long as it stays wet and I don't fry up my rain tires!

Now its off to Barber!

Jeffrop