1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Exhaust Can Slider (Protection) ?

Discussion in 'General' started by bluedevil, Oct 9, 2006.

1. APA

APA Well-Known Member

As a double precaution for road racing with long WFO runs I include a double heat barrier to prevent melting. I have not had any melting since going with the heat barrier.

2. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

3. bluedevil

bluedevil Well-Known Member

Dayum..... No one can say you are not prompt. Thanks....

Dion

4. bluedevil

Ill be using mine on the Akra Hex can...... Ill post up how it goes when I get it......... If it fits the Akra Hex....Its got to fit the TriOval

5. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

I was about to order, but was wondering if it makes sense to install 2 of these on the can, maybe spaced out a little?

6. bluedevil

Im actually planning on that... 1 at the each end of the can... I ordered 1 to make sure it will work for me on the Akra Hex can before I pop for 2 of them. Ill post up as soon as I can when I get it installed to let you all know how it fits on odd shaped cans..... Ill snag a few pics too.....

7. bobbyk

bobbyk Well-Known Member

Good enough for me. Order placed for 2 of them. :up:

8. bluedevil

**Update**

Ok I got mine yesterday. It does NOT fit the 06 Akra Hex can. Not even close. Id say its at least 1.5-2" short. In addition, it will NOT fit the Yosi Tri Oval can either...
    I decided Id try it on my 02 R1 Akra Oval can as well just for giggles...mmmmm Barely. It just barely grabs. Not sure it is secure enough yet to not fall off....

I will say I like the quality and structure design. Seems well made. Even comes with a nice rubber cover on the screw to prevent it from touching the can (and looks better too) But unfortunately...doesnt seem to work well on Sportbike exhuasts..... I notice is would fit well on a round can..say Hindle, or Graves rounds...but just seems a bit short for the Oval cans or odd shaped cans........

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  9. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Did you loosen the clamp? It gets both bigger and smaller by turning the screw.

It may be tight but it should fit. I measured the circumference of every manufacturers muffler at the dealer show in Indy last year. Every one of them no matter what the shape was 14 inches. The fully extended clamp is 15 inches. As the directions instructed you may need to work it a little to get it started over the edges, but it should fit. It is flexible

Can you measure it for me and give me the specs? If needed I can custom make one.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2007
  10. bluedevil

Yes I did loosen the clamp. I actually had to undo it and wrap it around the can because I could not open it wide enough to slip over the end of the can... After more careful inspection, it seems about a half inch to short for the Akra Hex can on the 06 R6.... Since its been like -4 degrees here for like a week, I cant get any flexibility in the plastic....but due to warm up in the next few days and Ill take a second crack at it. If nothing more, I can just replace the hose clamp from the good ole home depot for a buck or 2 and get one slightly bigger... no biggie...

As soon as it warms up, Ill try again and give you some more feed back. Dont get me wrong... I can tell its a great product and I want to use it....Ill figure a way to make it work out.. :beer:

11. APA

APA Well-Known Member

The temperature never crossed my mind. That could be your problem.

1. Begin with a cold motorcycle
    2. Peel back backing to expose the sticky side of the Heat Barrier material and stick it around the muffler a minimum of 2 inches inward from the end of the muffler. NOTE: On some models melting will occur if not properly positioned.
    3. Install Protector Assembly over the hear barrier so the clamp tensioner is at the bottom of the muffler just facing inward. You may have to loosen the clamp a little and shape the protector like your muffle to guide/work the clamp/protector over the end of your muffler.
    4. Using socket or T-handle tighten clamp and using screw driver guide the excess length of clamp strap inside the hose at the same time.
    5. Check for proper alignment and clearance between tensioner and tire/swing arm.
    Ride and re-check clearance and tightness, re-check periodically as part of your normal maintenance.

12. bluedevil

Ok here is an update: I tried again with it as it comes. Took it inside where temp is warm.... Still no go.
    So I went to the Home Depot... Bought a 1 and 3/4 inch Hose clamp. I attached it to the end of the stock hose clamp that comes with it (which is a 5"-7" adjustable hose clamp....and had to trim a bit off of it. Ending with just a hair over an inch added to the length. I tried the 7-9" clamp and it didnt fit well and looked sloppy, so I just stuck with the 1 3/4" addition.
    Then installed the heat wrap, and then put the unit on the Akra Hex can for 06 R6..... Works perfectly. Clamp was about .89 cents..... Made some adjustments to both screws for proper tightening and over all appearence...... Voila!!!! Looks great and fits perfectly. Ill get pics as soon as I can so all can take a look at how I did it.... Black "full" model against the carbon can looks Sheeeeidzzle... Hopefully Ill never get to test it out.. but Im happy with it, and considering adding a 2nd on tothe front side of my can as well.........

Dion

13. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

I have a similar question as Angel... I am getting the Yosh Tri Oval for my XR100 and I know I will crash it. Will the full fit around the triangular exhaust?

Chris

14. bluedevil

Measure the circumfrence....... If its 5-7" then it should have no prob.....

15. luckyhat12

luckyhat12 Silly Blue Rider

It will be in this week so I will measure it then.

Thanks for the quick response!

16. APA

APA Well-Known Member

The word I have gotten from the Mini riders is that their can is a little smaller in diameter but the regular size works fine.

Thank you for the input. I will look into the next length and see if it will accommodate the 14-15 inch circumference. I like your solution too!

17. bluedevil

Sorry for the delay... Here are a few pics of the Can slider installed on the 06 R6 Akra Carbon Can.... I had to add a small extention to the hose clamp to make it fit, but cost was an additional .69 cents and took a couple extra mins. Here are some pics of it installed with heat shield in place as well. Looks good, lets hope I never have to test it out..... I may add another one more toward the rearset for some added protection......

Pics:

Attached Files:

18. APA

APA Well-Known Member

bluedevil-Thanks for posting the pictures.

Reports are coming in that Road Racing with the heat barrier is a complete success! Thank you for those of you who have assisted in the development. Hopefully no one has crash tested one yet.

To measure your muffler borrow a sewing type cloth tape measure or a piece of string and measure the circumference of your muffler.

I am now offering 5 sizes.

Mini version for mini Supermoto/RRers with tight inside clearance. 12-15 inches.
    Regular for MX based Supermoto with tight inside clearance. 12-15 inches.
    Regular RR Extra heat barrier for WFO racing with tight inside clearance 12-15 inches.
    Full Street/Road Race Extra heat barrier for WFO racing with 3/4 inside muffler clearance. 13-15 inches
    XL Street/Road Race Extra heat barrier for WFO racing with 3/4 inside muffler clearance. 15-22 inches

Due to additional materials used the Street/RR models prices will increase on Friday March 30th. If you want to beat the price increase, place your orders now and email the model you would like.

Dealer Track vendor inquiry's invited.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2007
  19. bluedevil

NP. U woul;d be suprise at how many R6 riders I have sent your way. The placement of the Exhaust can on 06/07 models is in such a place that no matter what if you go down on the right side, U catch your can on the ground. These are a great idea. Like you said I hope I never have to crash test it, but any help I can get .......

20. APA

APA Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2007