1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX500 Tranny Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by MightyDuc Racing, Mar 9, 2003.

1. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

Need help. My buddy recently picked up a cheap 92 EX500 street bike. It's his very first motorcycle. When decelerating in 2nd gear (with or without braking), it jumps into a false neutral. Since it's an EX500 and not a Ducati :D ...I am hoping this is an easy and inexpensive fix that we can do ourselves. Help, please. Also, see my Wanted to Buy thread...looking for good take-offs to replace his ragged out tires. Thanks in advance!

2. wera688

wera688 Well-Known Member

Luckily I have never had tranny problems on my EX motors but from what I've heard there are two types. Those with good trannys and those with inherent bad trannys. I've known some who have torn it apart with the problem not solved and to happen again. Maybe Jon (796) or 'wherewebelong' on the BBS can share some info on how to fix it. This is a common thing for some EX trannys.

Kith

3. wherewebelong

wherewebelong Well-Known Member

Dont sweat it. This is a very common problem on pre 94 EXs. It usually happens when accelerating but can also happen going down. The problem lies in the return spring on the accuater. Its a real easy fix. Factory makes a "Shift Kit" which is really just a heavier spring. It installs in about half an hour and should cure your problem as long as your friend hasn't damaged the internals.
    http://www.factorypro.com/
    Good Luck with it.
    Cheers
    Ken

4. MightyDuc Racing

MightyDuc Racing By Land, Air, and Sea

Thanks for the help...ordering the shift kit today.