1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EX500 Steering Damper/stabilizer...Which one and how

Discussion in 'Tech' started by redciv1, Feb 11, 2015.

1. redciv1

redciv1 Well-Known Member

So WERA requires a Steering Damper for all bikes. There is no specific kit made for the EX500, so I wanted to know the guys that are running EX500's what they are using and how it was mounted

2. britx303

britx303 Boomstick Butcher…..

In a FZR chassis worked for me:D I can check to see if i have some brackets and fork clamps and can send them down to you if I find any.You will have to find a damper,and if I end up with what you need,I will let you know what style damper to get. How soon do you need it? Are all years EX the same fork diameter?

3. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

Mine is done with the traditional tube style damper (Daytona, Shindy are some common ones) and a standard fork tube clamp. The damper runs under the gas tank. There is a plate where the front of the gas tank attaches to the frame that has some convenient bolt holes where the bracket that goes around the damper body bolts to.

You can't adjust the damper without removing the tank, but that never seems to have been a problem, as I just set it and forget it. It probably loses some of its damping when it gets hot, but again, I've not seen any problems with it. The damper is well protected from crash damage there too.

I'm pretty sure the fork tubes are different diameters for different years (36 mm for older bikes and 37 for newer ones? don't quote me), so I would measure it to be sure before you order any parts. Mine has a Honda front end but the same setup was used with stock forks.

Would be glad to take a picture if that would help. I should be working on the bike but it is so damn cold out in my garage!

4. redciv1

Thank you both with the assistance.

5. redciv1

Trying for first race in late May.

6. redciv1

Looks like early models are 36mm and later are 37mm. This is from the EX500 Wiki so...!

7. rk97

rk97 Well-Known Member

Did you ask this on EX-500.com? I pointed someone here yesterday :)

8. redciv1

It was probably me. Same username on both sites.

9. britx303

I do not have a fork clamp in either 36mm or 37mm.Sorry,I really thought I did. What year is yours? If its a first generation,I can fab up a fork clamp and a bracket using a 1st generation chassis I have here to go by.Let me know and I could get it done this weekend.Not looking to charge you,just to help you get on track

10. redciv1

Wow Brit, I really appreciate the help. Unfortunately, I have a 1994 second gen EX. Not sure how much difference there was other than fork size.

11. kanatuna

kanatuna You can't polish a turd..

37mm on the 94+

Get a fork clamp and retrofit a stock gsxr steering damper. It'll cost you all of $90 and a couple hours of your time.

Britx is pretty awesome to offer the help though

12. redciv1

Hey Brian. Didn't want to keep bothering you with questions;). Yeah Britx offer is really good. BTW, which year GSXR damper?

13. kanatuna

14. redciv1

Ok cool. Just a backup if Britx not able to create!

15. britx303

I might have something I can make into 37mm.Give me the weekend to see what i come up with. No worries,glad to help

16. redciv1

I'm not rushing at all with the kindness that you are extending. Thank you.

17. britx303

My work is closed from the snow,and I have the fork clamp mostly done and its there.I couldnt find a 37mm clamp in the garage. As far as the frame mounting bracket,I will go out to the garage and look at an EX chassis to figure at least 2 systems for you,One how Joe said and the other more to the outside to be able to adjust it on the fly. Is there any frame difference between 1st and 2nd gen's, Anybody? Please,no guesses, I want to make sure he can bolt it right up,and my 2 chassis are 1st gen.

18. redciv1

Thank you Britx. I don't know enough about the EX's to answer the question. I saw a couple 37mm fork clamps on Ebay so no problem. Thanks again!!!

19. kanatuna

The fairing stay is different from 1st-2nd gen along with the forks, wheels, engine(head/jugs) and the bodywork.... The only thinks that will change what youre doing is the fairing stay(if using it to mount) and the 37mm tubes

20. redciv1

Any updates Britx?