1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Every day it gets tougher to be black

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by In Your Corner, Jun 12, 2015.

1. biggenyz426

biggenyz426 too big to fail

Yeah there probably wouldn't have been a big "flag" rally in Ellijay, GA on July 4 that we drove through on the way to the cabin. At least a couple hundred trucks and cars flying the stars and bars.

2. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

3. nigel smith

nigel smith Well-Known Member

4. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I am just really sad to learn that many years ago when I had a little battle flag on either side of my fairing on my race bike I was being a terrible racist. I thought I had them on more for the "Rebel" aspect but apparently it meant that I hated all black people. I wish I would have known that then and I would have treated the guy I used to pit beside alot worse than I did.:D

There is way too much stupid going on over this. The social justice warriors very well could have started more than they wanted here.

5. HPPT

HPPT !!!

A line is definitely crossed when offended black people get in the way of proudly celebrating your Confederate Canadian heritage. Enough. They need to respect your ancestors who gave their lives for the South. :D

6. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Oh c'mon Papa, the Canuckistanians are the only ones to have ever torched out seat of power. There's a natural camaraderie between the secessionists and the igloo dwellers. :crackup:

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

My great great grandfather joined the Confederate Army at Fort Clinch near Fernandina, FL at the beginning of the war. A few years back, I saw the roster where he signed his name mustering in, which I must admit, was pretty cool. As a infantryman, he fought in battles where the mortality rate was well over 50%, but he survived to surrender with one of the last groups under General Joe Johnson in North Carolina. These were not stories I heard as a child, I learned them when I was over 40 after my father developed an interest in family history. He had a copy of a postcard one of his fellow soldiers wrote recounting some of the battles. I don't recall any specific feeling of pride in a cause or in anything other than the man's capacity to endure under some very difficult conditions.

I have no idea why he joined the fight. There are no family records of any significant wealth of remnants of any land grants. I presume there must have been some distant relatives that could have been slave owners because there are African Americans with the same relatively unusual surname. However, Acree was not this ancestor's last name. Given some of the battles listed, I figured he was either a good fighter, or great at ducking to have survived.

Absent media attention, I rarely considered the flag at all, and when I did, as not much other than a relic of the past. Many of the people claiming it as their own in modern times know little of the history, may well not be of southern ancestry, and, quite frankly, are often not the brightest bulbs on the tree. The flag no longer means what folks bemoaning the loss of ancestry claim it does. Hate groups have co-opted the symbol that many fought and died for. Was their cause noble? In modern terms, certainly not, but I doubt most of the soldiers gave it that much thought. It should not be flown over any seat of government. Period.

8. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

I'm taking back "porch monkey" dammit. :crackup:

9. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Just trying to point out that just because one sees the Confederate flag does not mean that it is any indication that the flag bearer is a negro hating redneck. The flag hating is really going too far.

Besides, the Cajuns are just Canadians that got lost so there is very likely Confederate Canadians that gave up their life in the fighting.:p

10. Hawk518

Hawk518 Resident Alien

I had the three little stickers of the bars and strips in one of my vehicles. side widows and rear Less than half inch each.

With me it was a "01" deal. The only person that ever said anything was one of the project managers that I reported too. He was Jamaican. When I told him about "01", he said "okay."

It was not even a Flag thing with me. The only flag that I have ever put on my helmet was the America Flag.

I have never flown the Cuban Flag. I don't want to be confused with a Puerto Rican. :D

On my first helmet ever, when I was in the Army, I did have a red triangle with an oversized white start. It was mean to symbolized that I was Cuban but that was only known to me.

11. Fonda Dix

Fonda Dix Well-Known Member

here is a pic of my championship winning team in pee wee football, 6th grade, 1980. We were called the Rebels. Want to guess what logo is on the side of those helmets?

[​IMG]

12. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Look motha fucker you call me Canadian again and ass kickin's will commence. :D

13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

FTFY. :moon:

14. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Can I heal up first or are you going for the easier than normal asskicking delivery?:D

15. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

My Great, great, great Grandfather, and his brother, fought for the Union. They were out of Smith County Tenn.. Both were wounded in Mississippi, went home to recoup, returned to Mississippi and both died of disease there.

See, I'm from solid Northern stock. Not a rebel at all. :(

16. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

17. charles

charles The Transporter

Well, we live in a highly technical age, especially regarding communication (and the speed of communication), so what was kept local or even regional in the past is now spread around the nation and the world…perception is quite often much more important than reality.

18. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Of Adam and Eve?

19. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

When it comes right down to it, though, it's the reality people have to deal with.

20. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

I would have sent you a letter but I couldn't spell PHTttttttttttttttttttttt!

:)