1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ethics... Rider, parents, team members, sponsors, org representative ??

Discussion in 'General' started by Cam Morehead, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Cam Morehead

Cam Morehead Husband, Dad, Racer

I have read, seen, been directly involved, etc over the last 16 years at race tracks, in emails, on the phone concerning ethics of all of the above. I am kind of puzzled of the wide range of opinions on what is acceptable behavior of riders, parents, team members, sponsors, or racing organization representatives/employees. It seems some only see the rider's responsibilities. Others seem to support the team owner. Some seem to lean toward the sponsor's responsibilities. Some only see the promoter/org's side. As a sponsored rider, sponsor, coach, mentor, team member I tried to look after the entire sport as a whole. I did not always succeed at this but I always tried to hold to a very high standard. I can't help but believe with such a wide range of ideals, this can't be good for the business. We all, IMHO, need to look after our sport. I see an incline of our sport after years of decline. I don't want to see racers flipping the bird to the crowd/camera. I don't want to see parents screaming at other kids/parents. I don't want to see team owners run to people and start a confrontation. I don't want to see sponsors bad mouthing racers/orgs. I don't want to see reps for organizations talking bad about racers/sponsors/orgs. This does not mean you have to "sugar coat" or "candy coat" or lie about anything. Simply say "Hey, we had a bad day, things didn't go as planned." You can also wait till the knee jerk emotional comments have passed. This sport is a small circle with a long memory.... Don't think for a minute you can say or do anything you want without repercussions. Someone mentioned Colin Edwards as a great example of how you can say what is on your mind without alienating yourself. You don't have to be a puppet but you do need to think about what impact your actions may have on others.... To me it is called maturity.... Some days I want to curse and yell at work but know my wife and daughter will suffer from my actions.... and I don't want that. I guess my question is, "Do you feel your comments/posts/emails/actions affect the sport I love so dearly in a negative manner? If so, do you feel you have that right?" This post is nothing more than a husband/dad rambling..... Humbly, Cam Morehead

2. G 97

G 97 Garth

Yes, and when it's all said and done talent and $ take precedent.

Jerks will be jerks it happens in every industry.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Doesn't matter what I say or how I phrase it - a handful of people will always say I'm hurting the sport. On the other hand I have a lot of people telling me that being on here makes WERA the company more human and accessible.

4. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

And it lulls them into a false feeling of security while you go about your work of destroying motorcycle roadracing in America!

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

No Eddie, it's mostly from people who work for OEM's or have other full time gigs in the industry and the like as odd as that seems. A bunch of people I meet from overseas too. Always find that a little odd and funny.

6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

Some people are just assholes. Until that changes, nothing will.

7. RossK6

RossK6 Grid Filler

I see some of this in my professional life - some people just feel that if you have goals/objectives don't align to theirs, you are working against them.

I generally try to see it as there are many different currents, but we're all trying to get downstream...

8. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I'm tryin' to go upstream. Why in the hell would anyone want to, ultimately, end up in the cesspool at the mouth of the river, stagnating in the feces of human existence?
    Ever been to New Orleans? It's the septic tank for America's heartland. :D

9. bj

bj Well-Known Member

42 has been supplanted as the answer to life, the universe and everything

10. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Well I'm doing my part to recruit more to the asshole ranks. :D

11. eggfooyoung

eggfooyoung You no eat more!

Tuna just about got his ass whooped by a soccer mom at our last go kart race. There's no money, no trophies, no F1 scouts. Nothing. Just bragging rights. Man if she could've gotten to him...

True story!