1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Escape From Shitropolis

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by 70yamahaR5, Jul 30, 2013.

1. 70yamahaR5

70yamahaR5 Well-Known Member

How does one escape from Shitropolis?

After almost 20 years in this Shitopia, I've about had enough.

Some of you found a way to ditch the city and suckburbs rat race, move to a nicer place, make a living, and lead a more meaningful life.

So what's your advice?

2. PistolPete

PistolPete Fuck Cancer...

Just do it. I just sold my house, and sold/gave away/threw away almost all my stuff. Starting tomorrow, we'll be living on a sailboat wherever we want...

3. sauce314

sauce314 BROWN DYNAMITE

i'm in the works of leaving Chicago & moving to southern Texas.life is simple down there.i'm tired of the rat race.i'm just doing it.i'll worry about everything else later.

4. MaRacing

MaRacing v7,v8 racer and champion

Tell me it ain't so. Hate to see you move away, who else can I tease. Really we all at Ma Racing wish you well. Hope everything you're hoping for turns out just the way you want it. All our best wishes . Still plan on racing down there?

5. charles

charles The Transporter

now Rick...you know that the very thought of moving away from the home of the Big E is enough to make you cry...if you would only stop going to Graceland every other day, you would be able to make this important transition to a new life...okay, my wife just got back from a trip to visit her sister in Houston, TX...after traveling around down there, she reports business seems to be booming, there are racetracks, people with guns (and ammo!!!), women on horseback, men smoking Marlboro ciggies, and of course steers and queers...what's not to like?

6. ahrma_581

ahrma_581 Well-Known Member

Get your company to lay you off with a generous severance package the same month you turn 62 and start getting back your SS.

Then buy a cheap, shitty house in a small town, fix it up so you don't have a house payment, and rent your nice house in the city until the market recovers.

Oh, and stop racing. Can't afford it and it no longer exists in AZ anyway. :mad:

Worked for me.....

7. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Dang Rick, is this the sequel to the 80's movie where Kurt Russel wears an eye patch? :rolleyes:

Good luck man.....what do you do for a living?

8. charles

charles The Transporter

The problem here is that Rick is an honest man and competent CFO; he tried for decades to find a suitable job on Wall Street, so he could get heavily involved in some sort of illegal scheme to rake in tens of millions of tax-free dollars, then serve a suspended one year sentence, after which he would be hired on by the SEC to monitor illegal financial activities...but it didn't work out that way, and through no fault of his own (he was seized by unfathomable and hitherto unknown impulses), he found himself in Memphis searching for Elvis, in whom he would place his total trust, and seek to become the financial manager for Elvis' comeback in Vegas...Elvis has proven to be elusive, however, and finally, after many long hard years of commendable efforts, Rick has admitted that Elvis doesn't want to be found, and hence, we have this current impasse: a man stuck in a place that no longer needs him...a cold unforgiving scenario of misery and pain...like a knife in the back in a cold dark stinkin' alley on a foggy night when no one is around...such is the predicament now endured by our friend Rick (aka MetRick).

9. 70yamahaR5

My biographer, Charles, nailed it. I have nothing to add.

10. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Geeesh....that sounds worse than Kurt Russel with an eye patch.:eek:

Well, I'm not much help in the financial job market, sorry.

Good luck Rick. You should probably just give me all your EX stuff now, just in case.:rolleyes:

Also Rick, great move having Chas chronicle the situation. With skills such as his, who knows?.....maybe you could replace kurt Russel when Hollywood picks up on Chas' vibe.:up:

11. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

Lol... I think you've been hanging around me too much :):):)

Kim and I are on the last straw around this cesspool toiletbowl of a "town" too!

Maybe we could get a "Two-fer" special at Uhaul and everything that doesn't fit stays for the Elvis wannabes....

12. BrianC636

BrianC636 Well-Known Member

My parents lived on State Line Road in Olive Branch, MS for just over 17 years. I hate that damn place.

Nasty place and rude people.

13. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

They say moving your entire household three times is the equivalent stress level of having your house burn to the ground once...
    It will pass.

I've moved more than three dozen times in my life, over a dozen times as an adult. Whether or not I could handle the stress was never a question, I just did it. In other words, I've burned my houses to the ground about five times. The slate is clean, go wherever you want.

Grab everything you can not replace and absolutely want to keep. Preferably, it all fits in your caravan. Leave the stove on...

Avail yourself of the internet prior to your kitchen accident. You'll want to have a good idea of where you don't want to go.
    Got guns? Skip CA, NJ, NY, et al.
    Hate taxes? Skip MA, VA, et al.
    Hate snow? What's wrong with you?
    Have money(I'd assume so, after the insurance settlement)? http://www.landwatch.com/utm_source=nl_082509&utm_medium=email&utm_content=header

14. MGarrett50

MGarrett50 Ready. Set. Go.

There are places within driving distance of Memphis that are actually pretty nice. I'm about 100 miles east of there. Within walking distance of a different river and a state park. The deer outnumber the people, and i can do 95% of my work on the internet. Takes some adjustment but it's worth it.

15. jrsamples

jrsamples Banned

My cousin is a G man in Memphis. He's a great guy. He hasn't said so, but I think that he's about reached apogee from planet fun.

16. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Got any bodywork and/or painting skills?

17. 70yamahaR5

You guys are a hoot, even if not very helpful. :D

Charlie, I'll leave you the EX in my will assuming it doesn't get stolen in this shitopia between now and then. But if I crash the damn thing and get hurt again, it may be yours a lot sooner. Something about I'm getting too old for these injuries.

I'd give you the RD, too, but supposedly Charles may have plans for it.

Chris, yes, you have been a bad influence. Now thoroughly corrupted, I am of no use to anyone. Just don't forget me and Connie when you are finally free of here.

FunFred, that's about the best advice so far, but then again, they say free advice is worth what you pay for it.

Mark G, you are quite right. The vast majority of TN is great, but this place should be ceded to Arkansas.

Randy, I'm a hack when it comes to body work and paint (just take a look at my EX). I'm just a bean counter. Many years as a CPA and the last 11 at a nonprofit. Some electrical/electronic skills from my Coast Guard aviation days, but very dated. I like to fabricate and weld and am a decent mechanic (or at least I usually don't have too many parts left over :D)

I'd still like to hear some stories on alternative careers (not lifestyles) and how you get from Shitropolis to "Green Acres" and still make a living.

18. rwood64083

rwood64083 Gifted as in 'DUHHHH'

Will let you know if something comes up on the mechanical side of the house.