1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equifax Consumer Data Hacked

Discussion in 'General' started by I'm with Stupid, Sep 8, 2017.

1. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

2. CMRA 270

CMRA 270 Comes here for the latest CMRA gossip

I've been "compromised"...

When are consumers going to take back some control? Like; I have no interest in participating in your loan/cc/etc. if you report my information to a company who cannot keep it safe?

Someone said Equifax doesn't do much in the south...so maybe Dallas is as far south as they go....:mad:

3. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

No need to be. The thieves will keep your data and use it when it's convenient for them. It may be years down the road. It's not like your SSN and DOB are going to change.

4. Equifax is nationwide in the US, and also covers some other countries. Their penetration may be lower in certain regions, but it's all relative - chances are if you deal with any national banks or national lenders, you have an Equifax credit history file. In fact, since you've been "compromised," you do indeed have one.

CMRA 270 likes this.
  5. shakazulu12

shakazulu12 Well-Known Member

Hence the fraud alert. It's a pretty easy process to set it up or have your record frozen.

auminer likes this.
  6. worthless

worthless Well-Known Member

You don't mean physical presence, right? They used to be one of my accounts and I spent quite a bit of time at the Windward Concourse facility in Alpharetta and there were quite a few people working there.

Regardless, be on the lookout for scammers and phishers. The bad guys will try to take full advantage of this. http://www.equifax.com/security/

7. The ultimate irony is that Equifax sells data protection consulting and services. If I were a sales rep for that division, I'd be planning a rapid exit strategy...

418 likes this.
  8. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

So should we buy Equifax stock? It's selling at a discount now :D

9. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

If it was over a year ago, you might want to verify that you are still covered. Most of those breach-initiated, company paid plans were for base-model monitoring for one year.

The monitoring company sells a batch of basic monitoring accounts to the company that got breached, and the breached company passes those out to the affected customers. Then, at the end of the year, the monitoring company tries to retain as many people as possible under their paid plans.

10. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

It was free when the Chinese hacked OPM, anyone that signed up now has there info available to the Chinese and Russian Mafia.

11. KrooklynSV

KrooklynSV Usual Suspect

12. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

13. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

It wasn't a company, it was the Office of Personnel Management. The still had my information 10 years after I had a clearance for working on the Dept of Justice network for my former employer.
    And yes it is still in force, total of 3 years I believe.

14. rcarson15

rcarson15 Well-Known Member

15. brex

brex Well-Known Member

The Chief Security Officer at Equifax is a Music Composition major, with less than ten years in information security.
    Worked out well.

GixxerBlade likes this.
  16. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

Every one of those execs that sold stock just before the announcement should get the Martha Stewart treatment x 10

17. wrx_02

wrx_02 Well-Known Member

What a pain in the ass. How is this not fake? I put in my last name, last 6 of SS#. Of course I am affected.
    I write down my enrollment date, like it says and click on the link to continue enrollment.
    Then it just starts all over again.

18. Boman Forklift

Boman Forklift Well-Known Member

If yours is like mine, your enrollment date isn't until next week.

19. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

looks like I'm in the affected group, but I won't be enrolling because it sounds like that would prohibit your ability for any legal action..

so what are the next steps, other than monitoring your credit? stock dropped nearly $20 per share.. i have to imagine it will keep dropping though.

20. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

Freeze your credit.

Freeze your credit.

Freeze your credit.

Freeze your credit.

In case you missed it, Freeze your credit.