1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

engine oil question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by burnham, Apr 18, 2014.

1. burnham

burnham Well-Known Member

Just looking for an opinion. I am breaking in a new bike, and want to use non-synthetic engine oil. The bike calls for 10w50 oil. I can't find any that is not synthetic, but I can find 20w50. Any reason I shouldn't run that? It should be 50 or 60 degrees out when I break it in. Thanks.

2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What kind of bike and why non synth?

3. burnham

It's a KTM RC8. I was told by my engine builder (car engine, 10 years ago) to not use synthetic when breaking in the engine because it would prolong the break-in period. Something about a wear pattern in the cam lobes, I think?
    My plan was to run the engine for a day at open practice, then dump out the oil and put in synthetic. It's a new bike out of the crate, maybe I'm overthinking this or being paranoid. The voices in my head are pretty divided on this one.

4. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

Run the oil you're gonna run in it all the time.

Don't over think.

5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Just make sure its full.....

6. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Ten years ago was a l-o-n-g time ago in technology/machining/manufacturing/oil refining.

7. RM Racing

RM Racing Tool user

Find 10W-50 oil and run that, synthetic will be fine. It's more important that you stick to the type of oil KTM wants you to run. I've found that twins are especially picky about oil viscosities at racing rpms.

8. burnham

Thanks guys. I have two gallons of the stuff KTM wants me to use, so I'll just use that.

9. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Why not run the oil that's in it ? Should be what KTM wants in it for break in.

10. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

Exactly.

Break the bike in with the oil currently in the bike during the morning sessions, then at lunch change the oil and filter. Job done.

11. bigfella

bigfella Well-Known Member

:wow:

:eek: I don't think he meant that full. :tut: :D

12. bored&stroked

bored&stroked Disclaimer: Can't spell

This isen't a car engine with a flat tappet cam, in which case he would be correct.