1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Engine covers

Discussion in 'Tech' started by HOLLYWOODPETE, Apr 22, 2009.

1. HOLLYWOODPETE

HOLLYWOODPETE Well-Known Member

:confused:Getting ready to install woodcraft engine covers on my 2006 gsxr1000 and wondering if there's anything special i need to know. Look's like a pretty straight foward job. Thank's

2. metricdevilmoto

metricdevilmoto Just forking around

Watch for the exploding snakes when you take the left side case cover off.

It's an easy job. I've seen/heard the magnets on the stator side giving first-timers a hard time, but if you take your time with it, it'll be simple.

3. bigjoker247

bigjoker247 Well-Known Member

remember to soak your gaskets.

4. HondaGalToo

HondaGalToo Well-Known Member

on the '06-'07 gix 600s, there's a screw hiding behind the idle gear cover. Had to take that out first, don't know if the 1000 is the same, but something to check. After I figured out there was another screw I'd missed, it came off easily! :rolleyes:

5. gixxersmitty

gixxersmitty Well-Known Member

Also, be sure to red loctite the screws for the slider plates. I installed one on my 01 Gsx-R and had to take it all back apart just to loctite the screws.

6. HOLLYWOODPETE

HOLLYWOODPETE Well-Known Member

tHANX GUYS IT WENT SMOOTH:beer:

7. Fairchild

Fairchild Well-Known Member

+1

Being the anal type, I clean the male and female threads with brake cleaner to remove any machine oil residue, then the red loctite.

No likey metal getting loose inside the motor (or oil leaks).

8. doodooman

doodooman Member

does the oil have to be drained before removing the cover?