1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enclosed Trailer - Painting question

Discussion in 'General' started by Captain Poo Poo Pants III, Jul 8, 2016.

1. I was offered an 18ft enclosed trailer today for pennies on the dollar. Wheel bearings, tires and all that have sub 1500 miles on them, brakes are an unknown (they work apparently) and the lights all work. It has e-tracks on the wall. It has one "gash" on it but the pictures its really a non-issue, it's about 6-8" long and its barely even indented.

There is one stipulation to this, its currently owned by a company and its gotten some shitty graffiti on it. They want their logos stripped off of it so its not a rolling billboard of crap and they already tried. The logos have been baked in the California sun and they really don't want to come off. Vinyl logos. They'll have to be sanded off most likely.

It's currently black. Do I have any good options that won't look like shit besides just taking it somewhere to get painted or vinyl wrapped. I'll sand the logos off myself, I have an air DA and will go to town.

2. i just read using urethane boat paint rolled on properly prepped will look sprayed on and flat. i might give that a shot. any other suggestions are welcomed!

3. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Did you try a heat gun on the decals? may take awhile, but should help peel them off.

4. jamesfg49

jamesfg49 Member

5. I haven't gone and picked the trailer up yet. I'll probably pick it up mid next week sometime. I'll give it a shot. They said they sat there for a couple hours and barely got 10% of one side off.

6. Greg S

Greg S Well-Known Member

Company I work at got rebranded... Some of the trucks 20 years old. Propane torch lots of fire. that's wat they used. 2 hrs each truck

7. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

But some white vinyl off of ebay or amazon and wrap it yourself.

Phl218 likes this.
  8. BigBird

BigBird blah

[​IMG]

9. ghetto customs

ghetto customs Who's that Parrish guy?

Save your sand paper.
    Use a razor blade or some sort of scraper to get the vinyl off. Clean off the glue with laquar thinner or an equal with a rag then sand out any scratches you created while sanding the whole trailer.

10. BigBird

BigBird blah

you could just do this

[​IMG]

11. Riders Discount

Riders Discount 866-931-6644 ext 817

We went through a case of hand held propane torches when pulling an old wrap off the semi.

12. I am going to try that for sure. I wish I could post the picture of it but they asked me not to share it publicly.

But there is some shit graffiti on the front and side of it. It's all single line non sense in white spray paint. Any suggestions on removing that?

13. Didn't that ruin any of the paint? I assume they have to be re wrapped or painted?

14. It didn't burn anything under the wrap? I'll give that a shot too.

15. Phl218

Phl218 .

plasti-dip.

or vinyl.

16. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

A lot of the difficulty with getting off the old wrap will depend on its condition. If its been sitting in the California sun for a long time and isn't high-quality UV-resistant material, there is a good chance that it will be brittle and come off in tiny chunks rather than sheets. Not even propane will help with that issue much.

I've had luck with the eraser wheels as mentioned. I had to remove a cracked/faded 3M clear-bra from a Porsche 911 using one of those. It was a bitch of a job, but removed it completely with no damage to the paint underneath.

Shame we can't see a pic of what you're working with......

17. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

One trick I've heard for old decals - oven cleaner.

18. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I know this makes it painfully obvious but it's not the whole thing so maybe I won't catch hell. Haha.

That silver graphic expanded the whole thing and the red is partially peeled. That's on the other side as well and there's a red logo on the front. The Schwantz stickers can stay. :D

Last edited: Jul 8, 2016
  19. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

don't even bother trying to remove stickers if really old .. i went through this on my prior 24' trailer. Had vinyl graphics all over it for 10 years.

heat gun? tried that for a day. tiny pieces came off at a time. very slow going. if they were nearly new? sure. heat em a little and you can pull off. But old vinyl is a pain to remove. i used a rubber wheel on an electric high speed drill. what a fuckin mess, took days. way too much effort. then bought a huge roll of black vinyl and we went over the faded walls. Need 3 people, and a calm day, and shade.. big sprayer with drop of dish soap, and a lot of patience.
    you could still see where old stickers had been removed through the new vinyl. i should have used much thicker vinyl sheeting but that is big $$.

wrapping is an option, but will be $2-4k i bet. Same with just having the entire trailer re-skinned with new alum. for a 24' trailer with v-nose, it was gonna cost $4k. figure $2k+- for your trailer. Sand blasting the entire thing, then having a body shop spray it would be another option..