1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elon: Streetbikes are...

Discussion in 'General' started by Ra.Ge. Raptor, Dec 8, 2019.

1. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

Well to be fair, he did not get hit on an ATV. :D

2. Trust me, I truly don’t give a shit if he makes a bike or not. I would never buy one, so why would I care?

As far as his excuse and decision to determine what is or isn’t safe for everyone else, I think it is bullshit.

My comments are based on his comments, not they fact that he won’t make a bike. Again, I couldn’t give less of a shit if he does or doesn’t.

3. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

He determined for him and his company. Nowhere did he advocate all street bikes be outlawed or the like, no need to read more into it than he said.

4. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

But, he reinforces the negative connotation of a motorcycle in general. What he said re-enforces the American publicly held image of motorcycles being nothing but deadly toys. This is just one more way to stagnate motorcycle sales, and acceptance. This is like the "reefer madness" image is a problem when any use of hemp based products comes up. Because hemp is seen, by the public in general, as no different than marijuana. Image is everything.

5. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yes he does, what's your point? The man is allowed his opinion even if it's stupid as fuck :D

Hemp lovers are all stoners or hipsters or sailing antique boats :crackup:

6. That was my line of thinking also.

Some random dude says “bikes are dangerous”, meh.

But when a CEO and huge public figure with millions of followers says (in essence) “I will make ATVs, but I won’t make motorcycles because I think they are too dangerous”, that can have an impact. Or at least it damn sure doesn’t help the way the public sees us and our toys.

Phl218, CRA_Fizzer and sbk1198 like this.
  7. rd49

rd49 Well-Known Member

While I think you and stk0308 are vastly overstating Mr Musk’s influence, I now have to ask, if he changed his mind and decided to make an electric bike would you buy one or not? :D

8. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Who gives one pulsating rodent's rectum?
    Fuck a bunch of what Elon Musk thinks about motorcycles.

crashman and Gorilla George like this.
  9. Ive already stated I wouldn’t buy one.

I am not saying his comments are going to doom us forever, nor would his comments make everyone love bikes (if he had said the opposite). But Elon does have millions of people who pay attention to shit he says, and he’s just “throwing fuel on the fire”.

10. stk0308

stk0308 Well-Known Member

Possibly. I've been following the development of e-motorcycles for a few years, off and on. I have a 7 mile, one way, commute to work. It'd be almost perfect for an e-motorcycle. Only concern is, I have to cross a river on the interstate bridge. Hard for me to argue about them being "too expensive". I bought a H2 SX SE to sport tour on :)

11. HPPT

HPPT !!!

Do you people seriously believe that there were folks out there who didn't think that bikes were dangerous until Elon Musk said it? Damn… Now the general population is probably going to start making up totally new terms like donorcycles or crotch rockets. Thanks, Elon. :)

Wheeliest, rd49 and SuddenBraking like this.
  12. Woofentino Pugr

Woofentino Pugr Well-Known Member

Oh didn't one of his self driving cars just plow into the back of a squad car while on 'self drive'?

13. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Elon has enough product liability with self crashing cars. He doesn't need to add motorcycles.

Gorilla George likes this.
  14. And that is a very valid reason for not making them.

I’d have more respect if he just said that. Or even if he said something more “political” (or less damning), like “there is a high potential for low product reliability with creating something that far outside our expertise”.

Rather than some bullshit excuse about being hit on one. Id bet 9/10 people that have ever had a bike, car, truck, or ATV has either hit someone, or been hit by someone at some point.

If everyone used that excuse, we would still be riding horses.

15. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

some folks go through their whole adult lives with childhood trauma...lol We all know he was "improperly" trained.

16. TurboBlew

Im desperately seeking his approval.

FOR SALE: ALL MUH BIKES I DONT WANT TO DIE!!. $500 obo. :D

Sabre699, sbk1198 and Gorilla George like this.
  17. TurboBlew

horses are dangerous... wonder what an AI controlled vehicle would do if it encounted one on the street? :D

Gorilla George likes this.
  18. Phl218

Phl218 .

BMW had a vid out about a self driving, interconnected (to other vehicles) bike. They even showed the rider riding without helmet since it was so safe.

19. Phl218

Phl218 .

20. BSA43

BSA43 Well-Known Member

Since most of the attraction of riding motorcycles is the interaction between me and the machine, I have absolutely NO interest in a self-"driving" bike.

I fear the most pertinent result of self-driving cars is that the "drivers" will come to rely on the car driving itself and they will forget how to drive the car. Not good in an emergency.

stk0308 likes this.