1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Vehicle Charging Stations

Discussion in 'General' started by ryoung57, Jul 21, 2017.

1. 2blueYam

2blueYam Track Day Addict

Yep, I would pretty much only consider it if I had another car for driving trips and towing the motorcycle trailer. It still hasn't hit the right value proposition for me yet, but they are getting closer.

2. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

We currently have 10 here on site at FB(In NC), which are of course free... I'm considering getting one if the deal is good. Only issue is there aren't any around town besides here at work...

3. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

My friend works for Facebook on the campus and they have hired valets rotating the electric cars to the charging stations lol

gixxercurt likes this.
  4. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Menlo Park?

5. cha0s#242

I don't know the name, just that it's their main office, I think.

gixxercurt likes this.
  6. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Hopefully the free energy and the cost of the valet goes on to the employees check as a taxable benefit...

7. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

The connection that goes to the vehicle is standardized. I.E. one size fits all, the output is what varies. Our new electric car is going to use a 800v charger that will charge the battery to 85% in 15 minutes.

8. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

Why do you say that?

9. cha0s#242

Impressive, what vehicle is it ?

10. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

Because I am not terribly fond of subsidization making the questionable viability of electric cars look better. Free fuel is a huge benefit. And since they are not buying gas they are not paying any of the gas tax and getting an additional break. Because they are not paying taxes for fuel I end up paying more because the government will not do with less so they need to make up the difference somewhere. I do not like paying for social engineering experiments like "green" automobiles when I really do not believe in the cause. If it was up to me all government subsidies would be yanked from all vehicles and they could succeed or fail on their own merit.

11. throwdown

throwdown Well-Known Member

Porsche mission-e

cha0s#242 likes this.
  12. gixxercurt

gixxercurt Curtis Murray

So would this be like me saying "I don't want to pay SS tax bc I'll likely never see the benefit of it"? They're not taxing us extra, FB pays for the power so it's not technically "free". Pretty sure it could be included as a commuting benefit also, so it doesn't technically fall under fringe benefits... However I'm not a CPA or tax pro.

I mean, we all know there are tons of ways to get tax breaks out there. So you being opposed to something you can take advantage of, but don't, just sounds like my old lady on a Saturday morning barking about the honeydo list... I'm hearing you, I'm just not listening lol

13. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

So, I've been wondering. Here in sweltering Texas the power companies are always trying to justify another rate hike on electricity. Several times a year they wail about not having enough capacity to avoid brownouts in the heat. So, where is the extra capacity going to come from to charge all these whizzmobiles?

418 likes this.
  14. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

But, if electric cars become more mainstream, the utility companies will push the government, which will in turn finally force the NRC to allow innovation and let the power companies get away from 50 year old reactor tech.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/...xt-gen-reactors-seek-to-revive-nuclear-power/

15. R Acree

R Acree Banned

John Galt's motor.

panthercity likes this.
  16. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

:crackup: So now both me and your wife think you are an asshole? :moon:
    And full disclosure, I work in the oil industry so electric cars really are the anti-Christ. I just do not like the fact that my tax dollars end up trickling down to support an immature technology that will negatively impact my job and people will get free shit that I do not. :D

True. And I think nuclear has far more potential than the unicorn farts and fairy dust promises that we are seeing from all of the supposed "green" energy. And I am a nuclear guy that deals in radiation safety so more nuke plants would hurt oil but open up other doors for me so I am cool with it. But until then, Drill baby drill!:D

gixxercurt likes this.
  17. V5 Racer

V5 Racer Yo!

I was awakened at a gig the other week by the sound of the UPS in my toy hauler beeping. Got up and someone had parked a Tesla right behind my toy hauler and plugged their car into the same 20 amp outlet I was plugged into which popped the breaker. Nice. I turned on the generator and left their car plugged into a dead outlet.

418, TurboBlew and Banditracer like this.
  18. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

haha... I have friend that loves to plug his Volt in where ever he goes. One day he plugs into an outlet at a local park that the vending machines use. Whats funny is he carries around 100' of extension cord so he can recharge whenever he has the opportunity.

19. caferace

caferace No.

You wouldn't happen to be in the petroleum industry, would you? :D

-jim

20. caferace

caferace No.

For the Mountain View campus (main) they're pulling near 50% of their power for 6500+ employees, plus all the infrastructure from ... wait for it ..... Solar.

They are probably AOK with refueling a few dozen electric cars.

Now. Tipping the valet? That on the employee, I imagine.

-jim

gixxercurt likes this.