1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electric Knife Sharpeners

Discussion in 'General' started by kangasj, Aug 1, 2019.

1. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

2. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

I bought a Fiskars log-splitting axe.
    It came with a ceramic-wheel sharpener FREE!

Did wonders to every edge I dragged through it. Mind you, I'm not trying to shave with machetes, axes, hatchets, mower blades or bread knives...I'm doing real work. :D

It's really more of a honing wheel, but if you have a decent edge to start with...
    [​IMG]

3. BigBird

BigBird blah

4. fastfreddie

fastfreddie Midnight Oil Garage

Presto!?
    They've been making kitchen sharpeners for decades. Looks like good stuff there, Bird.

BigBird likes this.
  5. mattf

mattf Banned-a-lama-ding-dong.

I’ve got the Ken Onion and it does a really job.

Nothing works as well as knowing what you’re doing with stones, but I’ve usually got better shit to do than spend all day scraping knives against stones.

So the Worksharp lets me hammer out a bunch of sharp knives in short order.

speedluvn likes this.
  6. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

Chef's Choice sharpeners like this have been touted by folks (see Cook's Illustrated c. 2002) for a long time. I had their model 130 and it worked pretty well on normal German-style knives with 20 degree bevels. If you have eastern knives with shallower (read: finer) bevels, it will retool them, and they wont cut as nicely.
    The little diamond wheels wear out pretty fast. I'm not sure if they are replaceable; they weren't when I had my unit wear out after about 3 years (it cost about $150 and i think was heavier-duty than the one shown here).

I use these now: DMT.
    YMMV.

7. Sabre699

Sabre699 Wait...hold my beer.

Good old Grainger.

8. dsapsis

dsapsis El Jefe de los Monos

I figured a Grainger link would add some credibility to a thread that had about 5% going in. :D