1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

ecu flash

Discussion in 'Tech' started by twinn-burner, Sep 15, 2015.

1. twinn-burner

twinn-burner Well-Known Member

I had my ecu flashed by flash tune ecu.

I rode bike for first time at vir yesterday.

Bike was popping like crazy in pretty much every gear.

Before the flash the bike popped very minimally.

Flash tune put their generic full system map in the ecu.

Does the constant popping mean their generic map is not very good and I need a custom tune?

2013 zx6r Yoshimura full system and pipercross race filter.

2. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you almost always should get a custom tune.. a generic fuel map is just that. generic. it's way easier to map the bike with a piggy back system, like a power commander, even with the FT flash..

hang on, a piggy back method is actually the only way you will be able to map the bike if you don't have the tuner package from FT ($1300)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015
  3. Blue Junk

Blue Junk Well-Known Member

Not true. The end user can buy the same cabling and software (free) to tune their bike, or provide a non FT tuner the ability to tune. It's ~$450, they may give some consideration on price since you already paid for the flash.

4. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

you are correct. sorry about that, he would need to buy the $380 bike side setup, or the $450 bench harness. I didn't get the impression in talking with them any other discounts would apply though.. but who knows.

you would need a solid internet connection to make any changes, and download the free software (your license would would be free as youalredy paid for the initial flash, but only changes to this ecu can be made).

I will say this. You better talk to your tuner BEFORE you do the fuel map with the FT software. There are way more tuning cells than say on a PC map. it could take a lot more time if he's not very familiar with the FT mapping. And that could cost more than just getting a power commander or whatever fuel management device they are used to working with.

5. sdiver

sdiver Well-Known Member

I warned him about the Flash Tune generic map for the ZX6r. And told him the same thing about a Bazzaz or PCV :) Honestly unless you are a tuner I'd stay far away from FT for the ZX6r.

They still haven't fixed their problem with only cylinder 1 being tuned on their base full exhaust map after I pointed it out to them 2 months ago and they admitted it was a mistake. The first thing a tuner needs to do is get all 4 cylinders back to stock fuel tuning because otherwise Cyl 1 will always be out.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2015