1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earplugs and You: Yes? or No?

Discussion in 'General' started by vonstallin, Sep 16, 2008.

?

Earplugs: Yes or No???????

1. No Moe…I don’t wear earplugs at all.

21.6%
  2. Yes I wear earplugs to concentrate while racing.

66.2%
  3. Yes I wear earplugs: My Pipe is so loud im going def.

19.2%
  4. I sneak and wear my MP3 Player while I race:shhhhhh! Don’t be a snitch bitch Moe!

1.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

I’m curious how many of you guys n gals wear ear plugs while racing and what is your reason?
    At the track a few will almost die if they can’t find some plugs so I’m just wondering do you (or don’t) wear plugs.

Any Other reason besides what I put on the poll?
    I thought about doing it to drown out the sound.

2. 95speed

95speed aka Felix el gato

I can't ride (crack day/racing) without 'em.

I read somewhere that wind (noises) thru helmet will fugg up your earing.

pretty quickly.

I bought a hundred pairs from fleabay so I'm good for a while.

:cool:

3. kz2zx

kz2zx zx2gsxr2zx

I can't hear the bike(s) behind me without them.

4. LordMDP

LordMDP ... ... ... ....

i dont know why you wouldn't wear them

5. RubberChicken

RubberChicken PimpMasterT

I have learned the hard way about hearing protection. I have shot skeet and trap competitively in High Schoo, riddeen motorcycle for 36 years, and worked in the engine room of a tugboat. All have long-term destructive effects on your ears. I had my hearing tested in a sophisticated booth test about ten years ago. There are frequencies where I am totally deaf. Those frequencies correspond to the ranges where gunshot and wind noise affect soldiers and pilots.

My GSXR makes a veritable cacaphony of horrible noises when I get under the bubble. I can't stand it. I use EAR Soft earplugs for every lap on the track. as well as whenever I ride my street bikes. I can actually hear and differentiate engine noises BETTER with the plugs in.

I hear that Cannolli has some selective deafness in the frequency range where the Deliverance "Squeal" occurs.

6. Rico888

Rico888 Well-Known Member

Would not ride without them for all the reasons mentioned above.

7. AZ-MilleR

AZ-MilleR Well-Known Member

They take away the drone of the wind noise, you still hear everything else just fine. For $11 at Wal-mart I buy the kit to make the custom fit ones and they work great.

8. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

I havent in the past and my hearing has paid for it. When i make it back out, i will wear them.

9. vonstallin

vonstallin Я - Ребенок Люциферов

Again...Im surprised...
    I thought most would say they "don't" wear earplugs... I have thought about it and have some OCEA approved plugs.

Like someone posted my hearing is going downward. My Hi Freq hearing is off the charts. I can hear the other person on a cell phone if im within 5 to7 feet. But I have a problem hearing base like males voices. Most times im reading lips and actions to get a general idea vs keep saying "Huh?" and what you say???

My hearing lose started in the 90's and big base boom boxs in my truck:crackup::clap:

10. gixxernaut

gixxernaut Hold my beer & watch this

I just wear earplugs to protect my hearing. I'm trying not to go deaf.

I don't think it has anything to do with concentration for me, but if I forget to put them in I guess I can't help thinking about the damage it's doing to my hearing, so in that way it does interfere with concentration.

11. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

When I raced, I also rode on the street. I did not wear ear plugs on the street, so I didn't wear them on the track.

12. Venos

Venos Well-Known Member

I just wear them to save my hearing, otherwise the wind noise will destroy it.

13. ToddClark

ToddClark f'n know it all

started off racing w/o them, first couple of times i tried'em, i didnt like, but i think its mainly because i have to wear earplugs all day, 5 days a week where i work. Finally found some really good basic earplug that felt comfy and been wearing them for the last 6 years. Like someone else said, i cant hear as well when theyre not in, helps me to hear the bikes around me rather than wind noise.

Having said that, one of our own WERA members was at the Road Atlanta round a couple of months ago, doing custom fit ear plugs. www.bigearinc.com i believe is the website, members' name is KShuart. I can honestly say, as long as i can have these types of ear plugs, i'll never go back to the cheap disposable plugs. Theyre by far THE most comfortable ear plugs ive ever worn, and do a better job than any of those either.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  14. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

I bought some from Ken. web site on business card is www.174.bigearinc.com

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't and I really really need to.

16. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I wear them. I didn't at first but a couple other racers told me I would pick up a few seconds for concentration purposes. I put them in and picked up a few seconds along the way. Probably pysched me out in the few seconds department but now I can't ride without them, even riding dirtbikes. Besides my hearing going downhill fast. (jet engine mechanic) :D

17. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

always and everytime I ride.

18. Six3SixGal

Six3SixGal Official WERA Cat Lady

I just started with it this year, but it really slows everything down and makes it easier to ride faster lol

19. goodmatt78

goodmatt78 Well-Known Member

Everytime I forget my earplugs, I always think my bike is blowing up by turn 1.

20. steven_george88

steven_george88 Well-Known Member

Every time. If I happen to forget them I can't concentrate at first, I always think there's something wrong with my bike because all those natural engine noises are SO VERY LOUD.