1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

E-Bay Gas Tank Locked, No Key...

Discussion in 'General' started by 0hi0, Mar 19, 2006.

1. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

Just kind of curious how difficult it is to remove these locks without damaging the tank?

It's for a Honda CBR F4i.

Thanks for the help.

2. -1badr6-

-1badr6- Well-Known Member

You can use a paperclip, i have seen it done, or if you don't need the lock, just get a drill and drill the center out.

-Nick

3. SloMo510

SloMo510 Still Slow

screwdriver to lock, tap with hammer, twist

4. sisbell

sisbell Well-Known Member

If you drill, make darn sure you only go as deep as the tumblers. Any deeper could put shaving into the tank.

5. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Pull the pump, take a long scrwdriver and push the lock tab in from the bottom.?( I know that works on GSX-R's & Yamaha's)

6. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

15 bucks at a local locksmith and 5 or 10 minutes, it'll be unlocked and you'll have a couple of keys. my roomate just lost his rc51 key, he knows this firsthand. don't use a screwdriver unless you have another gas cap to put on - it'll ruin it.

7. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

You guys are doing endurance so, do the big flat head screw driver deal. Pound it in with a hammer and twist HARD. It'll snap the tumblers and then, you can open the tank and take the damaged tumblers out the proper way and use a small screw driver to open the tank during pit stops. WAY easier than a stupid key....

8. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

except for when you come in for a pit stop and the little screwdriver happens to not work, or the lock jams because a broken tumbler piece was left behind... on the other hand the key could break too... guess you could be screwed either way.
    p.s. the vortex spin-on caps aren't exactly quick on and off either. really fine threads make it a bitch if you're in a hurry.

9. 0hi0

0hi0 Husband Killing Tool

Yes, the Vortex suck when your in a hurry, especially if your bike is fuel injected putting it under some pressure. Someone said those are not MWSS legal though. The key works out best for us.

Simple solutions for simple problems I guess. Didn't think about going through the fuel pump!:up:

10. Lizard 1

Lizard 1 Well-Known Member

you apparently didn't read my post closely. I said snap all the tumblers to get it opened and THEN remove them from inside. No jams that way. Actually, most teams remove the tumblers anyways to use a screw driver,,,,

11. aweather

aweather Well-Known Member

Same thing happened to me, I was pissed. I was leaving for the motogp the next day so I was in a huge hurry, I visited the locksmith and he picked it for $20 then I removed the tumblers. It was for my F4 so there was no possibility of getting in through the fuel pump hole.