1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dyson

Discussion in 'General' started by Steady T, Apr 16, 2020.

1. Steady T

Steady T Xaus Power

2. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

Isn’t @Cannoli the resident vacuum expert? ;)

3. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

I have floors just as you described and that's the exact vacuum we use. Works fine.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Got two Dysons and I like em.

5. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I've got a Dyson that has to be going on 10 years old now (bought it used in 2014) and it's great. My place is mostly hardwood as well with carpeting in the bedrooms.

6. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Actually three if you include the cordless, still trying to justify the cost of another one of those for upstairs, I love that thing :D

7. ChemGuy

ChemGuy Harden The F%@# Up!

I would think RiTcHIe is the expert at sucking?

8. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

How well do the cordless work for smaller jobs like vacuuming out the car? I've been eyeing one because the handheld we have is basically useless, but it's not worth replacing my corded Dyson otherwise.

9. pickled egg

pickled egg There is no “try”

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

It's great. The one I got even has a small powered roller that works great for the car stuff.

Not sure I'd go with it as a replacement for corded for normal household stuff, mainly because the bin is too small. I use it for the dust bunnies from the pups and stairs and such.

OGs750 likes this.
  11. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

We just have the ball type (Animal 2) and I don't think it works very good for car stuff. The tube setup is too stiff to get around the small spaces. I use my ShopVac for the car.

12. Phl218

Phl218 .

Tyson, Tyson, Dyson, what's the next thread? Cryson? (CRYSON. Evaluation of the solution scattering from macromolecules with known atomic structure and fitting to experimental data. )

13. motion

motion Nihilistic Member

We have a Dyson long thingy that comes apart and I can attach short stuff to do cars. I dunno.... it was pricey, its loud, and a full charge lasts only about 10 minutes. Jury still out.

14. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

I've got a Dyson Ball animal going on 12/13 years now. They say it never loses suction, but that's false. It does about once a year, I tear it apart and clean everything and blow it out with the compressor then it's back to normal. Not a hard job, it's comes apart very easily, and it takes maybe a half hour. Other than that, my only other gripe it is that you need to undo the whole damn power cord top pull out the wand. Sometimes I just want to vacuum up something quick and you end up having to drop the whole cord and wind it up again. Less of a problem now that I have kids who think winding the cord is fun lol. I usually know it's time when I have to step on and grind up goldfish crackers and cheerios to suck them up :D

15. stangmx13

stangmx13 Well-Known Member

our 2000 sq-ft house is hardwood downstairs and carpet upstairs. the V8 Cordless does the whole house including the fabric couches. we have no need for a larger or corded model. we vacuum the downstairs and stairs 2-3x a week and the upstairs once a week. its just so easy and fast to grab the cordless off the wall charger and start vacuuming.

we bought the V8 Absolute package because it comes with a hardwood floor head. its the same as the carpet head with a fuzzier roller. we usually just leave the carpet head on and didnt really need the Absolute. the cheaper Animal package would have been fine.

the mini motorized head is amazing for couches and the car. the non-motorized attachments for crevices and stuff are kinda weak, but they dont get used often.

lazlo likes this.
  16. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Agreed, having a tube at the end works fine in the house but not the car. Honestly I think my shop vac is probably better overall but it doesn't have the beater bar option which helps with dog hair.

17. OGs750

OGs750 Well-Known Member

I also agree that the full-size tube is to awkward for the car, but my current cordless is such shit that I wrestle with it anyways. I either need to step up to a Dyson cordless or buy a shop vac.

18. kenessex

kenessex unregistered user

We have 1800 sq-ft house and use the Dyson V8 cordless, too. My wife vacuums several times a day and the Dyson works great. We have hardwood and tile only, no carpet, only a couple of rugs. The one issue we had was the OEM battery failed after a year. I got a replacement from Amazon that has more AH and it is working great. The other issue was that the little wheel things on the powered head were scratching the hickory floors. I removed them and it doesn't scratch anymore and my wife says it actually works better. I know it is quieter, now. I don't use it much:clap:

19. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

We had a Dyson, it fell over and amazingly it broke the handle at the base that the tube is part of. Before I could replace it my wife (who's normally the smarter one) fell for the spiel from a Kirby salesman. I got home from work and found she'd bought one, I was absolutely furious. We're stuck with that still and I hate that bloody thing.

20. Dan Dubeau

Dan Dubeau Well-Known Member

They still have those? We had a Kirby growing up. Still remember the smell of those burning belts.