1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dynojet Quick Shifter Install Question

Discussion in 'Tech' started by dmb367, Sep 11, 2010.

1. dmb367

dmb367 Custom User Title A

Hey All -

I've got some real basic questions about the QS install from Dynojet. I have the QS with module to hook up to my 06 GSXR 600. I have the directions from Dynojet but they really aren't helpful at all.

A) Does it matter which set of cables are installed over each sparkplug? i.e. is one bundle supposed to be for cyl 1, and so on? I don't see any numbering or color coordination.

B) I'm hooking the QS into the PC3 I already have installed and working right. I see on the expansion port where the QS plugs into the PC3, but there's another cable with a white connector on the QS module. Where does that plug in? Or does it? Does the QS get a speed signal from the PC3?

C) The dynojet chart said I needed two rods (A and C) for my bike. There's no way that I can install both for GP shift. I was thinking maybe they said two rods for standard. Anybody ever installed one onto a 06 GSXR 600 for GP shift that can confirm?

Thanks in advance! :beer:
    Joe

2. dmb367

Here's some pictures

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and here's the white connector which I don't know where to plug:
    (it has blue, green and red wires in it)

[​IMG]

3. KneeDragger_c69

KneeDragger_c69 Well-Known Member

A) Usually, the length of those cables are pre-determined from where the routing of the QS cables pass in your bike. Your instruction should say where they should pass.

B) That one should connect to your Ignition Module.

C) One rod is for stock rearsets and the other for aftermarket rearsets... if my memory serves me right.
    In your case (just saw your pics) your shifter rod should be the same as your OEM, I'm assuming !

P.S. U're QS is different form mine.... I don't have that big box for my QS (ZX6R '07)

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  4. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

You have the stand alone version - no ignition module. The white cable is from your quick shifter and should be plugged into the stand alone. From the stand alone run the cable along the left inside of frame and take the shortest plug and plug it into the ignition for the #1 cylinder, then the next shortest into #2, then the next into #3, and so on then plug the original plugs into the corresponding pigtail. I hope this helps. One other thing, it's really no big deal but I zip tied the QS cable at the base of the QS module to the shifter rid above, only to prevent it from catching on anything. YMMV.

5. dmb367

Thanks man. Everything makes sense but there's no where else to "plug" that white connector in. The instructions are calling it the QS sensor input, is it maybe only used with some other accessory?

6. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Its not on the backside of the stand alone module?

7. dmb367

nope, nothing on the back

8. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

It sounds like you may have the universal version of it and may have to wire them to the QS module.

9. Venom51

Venom51 John Deere Equipment Expert - Not really

Uhhh...that plug is for the pressure sensor on the stand alone version. Not sure what you do with it when trying to run it with a PC3. Are you not intended to run just the ignition module with the PC3 and the pressure sensor? I've only ever seen the QS installed as a stand alone piece.

If I remember correctly the red wire in the plug is 12v supply and the green and blue wire are what gets wired to the pressure sensor.

Dynojet says you need the ignition module and pressure sensor. You don't need to install the stand alone QS.

http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx?mk=13&mdl=95&yr=2006

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  10. dmb367

Man I have no idea. I already had the PC3 installed and working fine. I wanted to get a QS and dynojet said I needed the module too. So all I'm trying to do is get the QS working, whether its thru the PC3 or stand alone.

11. Venom51

You need this one...http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/Products/IgnitionModule/powercommander_ignition_module.aspx

and the pressure sensor...4-102

You could do it with the stand alone QS but that's really meant for older carburated machines. If you want to continue down the path you are on you'll need to move the pressure sensor back over to the plug on the QS module as the PC3 will have no concept it's there without the ignition module. Then wire the QS harness to the coils following the installation manual. You'll then need to tap into the speed sensor and the tach signal if you want the intelligent shifting the module offers. Then proceed with calibrating the module per the instructions. The stand alone QS will not be tied to the PC3 at all.

12. dmb367

Man, why is this so confusing? I'm waiting to hear back from the guy who I bought it from (who was running it with a PC3).

13. Venom51

Like I said...you can install it but consider it as not being connected to the PC3. PC3 will be controlling the injectors. The QS module will be controlling the coils.

14. dmb367

Ok I think I'm getting somewhere. The previous owner had it setup without the Intelligent shifting though (just found the wire balled up). Is that worth connecting and calibrating?

Thanks Venom!

15. Venom51

I think it is....the shifts are a good deal smoother with it.

16. dmb367

OK, looking thru the manual now to find out where those 2 wires are (speed, rpm)

17. Venom51

Any number of people here will be long with the answer to that one.

18. chugs

chugs Well-Known Member

I have the same stand alone unit, I'm pretty sure your gonna have to run a t-tap to your spend sensor wire if you already haven't done it.

19. dmb367

OK, so which wire do I tap into on the speed sensor? There's:

black/white - looks like ground
    black/red - goes to speedo
    black - goes to speedo

black/red if I had to guess?

20. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

Oh I see! You have the QS sensor connected to the PC3. Disconnect that and connect it that other connector that you are wondering where it goes. BAM! You're done. It has nothing to do with the PC3. The PC3 runs the injectors and the QS shuts off the ignition when you shift. Easy. Just like Venom said.