1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dyneema material riding jeans

Discussion in 'General' started by 10-15, Dec 30, 2022.

1. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

Real world use, pros/cons. I have a couple pair of kevlar lined jeans and they are great for cool/cold weather riding but are hot as fuck in the summer.

I am looking st the Spidi Dyneema Evo tec and the Belstaff Charlies.

I'm not a skinny jean wearing latte sipping hipster. More regular cut dad body with a 34" waist 5'9" 200 lbs.

TIA

2. Nick_OMC

Nick_OMC Will crash your bike

Dyneema is woven into the denim so you will not have the bulk of the extra kevlar liner but all the protection and then some. 2-Way stretch is key for comfort and movement on and off the bike. Low profile armor is helpful if you happen to hit in the right area in the event of a crash. I have been involved in development on FLY and Highway 21 for the past 5 years and believe that outside of materials, fit is the next most important factor with respect to jeans (really everything). Some will fit better than others. I personally like a Levi's 514 stretch denim and with some industry research has shown that pattern is very popular, so we mimic that.

ducnut and r6fast like this.
  3. 10-15

10-15 Well-Known Member

That is cool that you worked on the incorporation of dyneema with two MC clothing manufacturers. I've noticed that the of percentage of dyneema used in the proceess can very quit a bit. Some use as little as 18% to a high of 50%. I'll check out flyracing and Hwy 21.

Thanks!

4. r6fast

r6fast Well-Known Member

Which dyneema are they using in the pants? I use it for bicycle bags. The rising cost over the last year has really increased and has made it a much tougher sale for the weight savings.
    I love learning about the use of different fabrics in products.

5. Nick_OMC

I'd have to double check on that one as I don't recall the spec off-hand.

Here is the spec of material split -
    • 68% Cotton, 13% Dyneema, 10% Nylon, 8% Polyester/,1% Spandex
    One thing to note on street crashes and abrasion is that in most cases, they are nothing like a track crash. The slide is much shorter and usually cut short by stationary objects. Buying a few extra seconds sounds small but makes a difference.
    **also, update, the FLY version is not out just yet.

6. ducnut

ducnut Well-Known Member

Is there any difference between the Blockhouse and Resistance jeans. The features and specs look to be the same.

7. Nick_OMC

Not on the tech features. The Blockhouse is more of a 501 fit and the Resistance is a 514 fit.

ducnut likes this.