1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Question

Discussion in 'General' started by rogers1323, Feb 7, 2007.

1. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

I may be opening a can of worms here, but I'm willing to do so. Has anyone been told by the Dunlop people that their tires don't heat cycle? Does anyone know of a race tire that doesn't heat cycle? There is someone on another board claiming that Dunlops don't heat cycle, so you can let them heat and cool off as many times each day as you want with no ill effects over the course of time.
    Do any of the Dunlop Race Tire guys lurk on here? Let me have it guys.

2. etemplet

etemplet Well-Known Member

I rekked on a Dunlop Race tire that had been heat cycled 10 or more times. It had plenty of tread left and the right side was soft but there was this one little spot on the left that I didn't see and when I leaned that baby over that far....

So I'll certainly question the heat cycle theory you mention.

Now then. If you are a fast guy and go through 2 rears and a front per sprint race day, maybe you won't heay cycle those tires enough in "one" day to cause problems. But if I was that fast, I'd use warmers. :) Why take a chance ?

Good luck !!

3. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Oh Boy....... this should be interesting.....

I'll take a shot at it... Most maunfacturers performance street/track tires are less prone to ill-effects from heat cycles but ANY tire "heat cylces" when you warm it during use and let it cool.

Michelin Pilot Powers & 2CT's, Pirelli Diablo series..Dunlop and Bridgestone whatever's etc are all designed to go through many, many heat cycles. The engineers designed the compounds with this in mind.

Race tires are different animals altogether.....

4. rogers1323

rogers1323 Well-Known Member

Thanks guys. That was pretty much my point. There was someone on another board trying to say that Dunlop race tires don't heat cycle, so if you use warmers you should only use them for the period of time directly before a race and having them cool all the way multiple times during a day will have no ill effect. It's always been my understanding that keeping some heat on tires throughout a day, thereby limiting the number of heat cycles, will extend the life and grip of you tires over the course of a weekend (or multiple weekends).

Monte - I'm running Michelins now, PRC front and PR5 Rear, and I have the chicken hawk digital warmers. Is there a recommedation for temperature front and rear? And should that temperature be the same for long periods of time as just before a race? Thanks for the info.

5. Harp

Harp Well-Known Member

This is one school of thought. I have also read (on the Internet, so I'm pretty sure it was true) that the life-span of the tire isn't only effected by the number of heat cycles but also the amount of time that a tire remains at an elevated temperature. My best guess is that the correct answer is somewhere in the middle of the two theories -- too many heat cycles is bad and too long at high temp is bad. Pick your poison.