1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dunlop Invite, September 27-29 at Hallett

Discussion in 'General' started by Steeltoe, May 10, 2019.

1. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

The invites are going out. I'm assuming that if you applied you'll get one, because they sent me one... lol

2. TRK

TRK Well-Known Member

Any more details?

3. E Reed

E Reed Well-Known Member

4. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

It’s not just for the Kids... 50 over box to check! In!! :D Never been to Halett

Phl218 and E Reed like this.
  5. TLR67

TLR67 Well-Known Member

Well can that... I am out.. Per registration... only up to 800cc in Twins class...

6. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

I know a lot of people around Hallett as its my closest track. seems nobody really knows a lot. I'll be there to hang out that weekend but won't be racing.

7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I love all the people planning to attend an event they know nothing about. Know nothing about who is running it or even remotely how it will be run. And you wonder why roadracing is fucked up....

8. AC1108

AC1108 Well-Known Member

I've never ran Dunlops and haven't raced for 8 years, but I got an invite today. They must not have reached the numbers they were hoping for because sending me one is scraping the bottom of the barrel.

JBall likes this.
  9. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I got an invite as well. I don't know how they got my email either.

JBall likes this.
  10. Justin Dake

Justin Dake New Member

Whoever is behind this is trying to build a database of talented riders. They want their website to grow into a resource for talent scouts and corporate sponsorships to find riders. The Invite is the launch event for the platform. Anyone who attends goes into their database.

It's interesting that this organization has produced nothing and yet already has the backing of Dunlop, which brings into question whether Dunlop is the entity behind this or at very least the core financial backer, in which case Dunlop would take their pick of riders to sponsor and everyone else gets the leftovers.

Problem is, whoever's behind this is an event promoter and NOT an experienced racer. The rules contain no literbike classes (and yet we have the "Grom World Championship") and no mention of allowed or disallowed modifications. In other words, it's pay-to-win.

The scheduling issues have been pointed out in this thread and the way the marketing agency, MPG Creative Group (who is clearly not the organizer), words things is unnecessarily pompous and vague.

From the website..

In other words, they want to hand-pick the riders who make their brand look the best. However...

Top road racers AKA anyone who's on a mailing list they can get their hands on (as evidenced by this thread). Which is fine, but why make it sound all exclusive then.

Whoever wrote this only learned about capital letters Last Week.

Again, they will promote whoever (1) wins or (2) makes their platform look good. They will give those riders precisely $0.00 of the residuals from using their likeness in marketing materials because the riders are being paid in "exposure".

Before signing up I'd at very least want to know who I'm signing my likeness away to. The fact that this information is unfindable calls it into question. There's a real chance they would just whip up a quick website, hawk ads, sell merch, and sell riders' information under the table. That is, if "they" aren't Dunlop.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

So another web developer that wants to make money off of racers by offering a "free" site to promote themselves. Oh joy.

12. Suzuka_joe

Suzuka_joe Well-Known Member

Showcase at Hallett? I'm confused because since its my closest track I can attest that the quality of the surface is less than amazing...

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

More proof they don't know what they're doing.

14. Stumpy

Stumpy apprentice

They cleaned out the bottom of the barrel and then found a stash of older barrels in a musty old corner where stickboy stores his pilfered souls because even I got an invite...

418 and YamahaRick like this.
  15. Shocker

Shocker Well-Known Member

I'm starting to think that if you ever bought tires from Race Tire Service then you are getting an invite to the event. I haven't run on Dunlops in 4 years, but that's my best guess as to how I got an invite...

MachineR1 likes this.
  16. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

Since I see no mention of them giving free tires to participants I don't suspect Dunlop paid anything to support this...... Nor do I think have any meaningful involvement other than letting the organizer use their logo

17. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

18. Pneumatico Delle Vittorie

Pneumatico Delle Vittorie Retired "Tire" Guy

[QUOTE="Mot Okstef, post:]

One would think that JU would do his due diligence and call it out to be a farce if it truly was.[/QUOTE]

Because he likes to watch everyone overreact to the conspiracy theorists here :crackup:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 29, 2019
    Mot Okstef likes this.
  19. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Well I didn't get an invite so they can eff right off with this thing.

20. Mot Okstef

Mot Okstef Scrolling all day long on RRW.com

It's not being held at Starschmuks so you're not invited! :p

Steeltoe likes this.