1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ducati Tires???

Discussion in 'Tech' started by Flying998, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Flying998

Flying998 Well-Known Member

For the Ducati Superbike HWT crowd (996-1198)...

What's the consensus on race rubber that suits the heavyweight twins? I'm moving up from the LW crowd and am quite pleased with Stick's Bridgestone slicks, however I'd like to hear what others on the HWTs have been running and their opinions on them. I used to run Michelins on my old 996 and was okay with them, but the new bike has a lot more power and I am also a lot more faster... One thing is for sure- I'm not looking forward to new tires every weekend!

Thanks for the info :beer:

2. regularguy

regularguy Always Krispy

The consensus is sell that overweight spaghetti burner.... You WILL need new tires every weekend on that fat tub with 140hp....

3. some guy #2

some guy #2 Well-Known Member

I've never heard of twins needing or liking different tires but any modern tire is going to perform well if it's set up. I think UK Dunlop's are great tires for liter bikes (med + compound).

4. mtmansl

mtmansl Well-Known Member

The 1198 is a good bike, talk to Matt Carr. The tire choice will come down to your personal preference (Pirelli/Dunlop/Michelin, ect.), all good!

5. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

more power, more tires. PERIOD.

6. Flying998

Thanks guys... some peeps said that the Ducs prefer Pirelli's so I was curious about the good/bad. Just as anything else, it appears to be all in the eye of the beholder - I guess that's good news for Stick next season :bow:

7. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I ran Bridgestones on the 848 and now on the 1198, DOT and slicks since both are legal for HWT Twins. The carcass stiffness is very different, so if you try one and don't like it be sure and try the other.

I think most of the Ducati/Pirelli talk stems from street riders/squid forums and the fact that they come from the factory with the Pirellis, which has absolutely zero to do with racing.

8. 418

418 Expert #59

Your biggest concern at this point is tire size. Seems Ducati didn't take into consideration race rubber size when they made the swing arms.

9. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I don't know much about the 998, but I ran a 190 on my 848 with no issue.

10. peakpowersports

peakpowersports Well-Known Member

You need a different rear link to make the tires safe :D

11. Rusty848

Rusty848 Well-Known Member

All of us here northcentral run dunlops.i run 200 rear on my 848.

12. Rusty848

Rusty848 Well-Known Member

You definitely going need new set every weekend.depends on track you need sometimes swap front or rear for next day.

13. Racer45

Racer45 old guy just tryin'

My 1098 was dicated by gearing. I know I only had about 1/2" clearance with the old Michelins

14. Flying998

Thanks for all the info gents...

It's looking like a straw-in-the-air choice for opening weekend, and unless some serious rubber has been laid in the preceding 6 months- I'm going to be in for a budget buster on the DH weekends @ NOLA!!!

15. cpettit

cpettit Well-Known Member

I was wondering about this. I just got an 848 evo and there seems to be little clearance between the tire and swingarm. Did you have to run the wheel as far back as possible to make the dunlop slick fit? How many links chain did you use?

16. 418

418 Expert #59

On a regular 848 we took the wheel as far back as possible and it still wasn't enough with w/ 200 Dunlop rear. There was maybe 2mm clearance?

17. CarrMoto

CarrMoto Well-Known Member

On the 848/1098/1198 it is almost always the weld on the swingarm that rubs on the tire. You can grind it down a bit but be careful for obvious reasons. I don't want to be responsible for a disaster. There is a flat pad on the swingarm back there right under the weld, we match the weld to this pad. I'm not looking at one right now but the pad is about 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" or so. With certain gearing and tires, especially the new big tires, we still rub the tire a bit but it does not cause an issue, just a small rub mark across the circumference of the tire. On the 1098R I can never get the right gearing that I want, it is always a huge compromise and I always leave the track feeling I could go faster. I kind of want to kill that guy who designed that swingarm but I bet someone beat me to it!:D

As far as tires we run Dunlops, Michelins, and Pirellis. I know that doesn't help much but its the truth.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012