1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drugs are bad...M'kay!

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Spyderchick, May 23, 2012.

1. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

That's where I'm not 100% trusting the story - one side or the other is lying big time. A school nurse would absolutely call 911, no way she'd let some kid just keel over and die.

2. RCjohn

RCjohn Killin machine.

Seems like it but it appears she didn't. We do need more info to know exactly what happened.

Everytime I've had my breath knocked out I thought I was dying. :D

3. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

In this case, the problem is both of them IMNSHO, of course.

4. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

A good friend of my step-son died of an asthma attack at 19 year old. The risks are real.

The parents forgot to sign a form, the prescription was on the inhaler. A reasonable person would have given him his prescribed medication during an attack that can cause death. Then had the parent sign the form. No issue, no problems. A professional is supposed to apply sound judgement. Letting someone be put into a life or death situation because of a signature is not professional. Yet, the nurse probably makes $75k plus and has a sweet compensation package for being a "professional" without common sense or the ability to apply it.

5. Dits

Dits Will shit in your fort.

Oh pipe down. I'm trying to make some money down here. :D

6. sheepofblue

sheepofblue Well-Known Member

Certainly the rule makers are the most at fault (I did include them in my list) but that is ZERO excuse to just stand by. If standing by while someone is harmed due to a rule is deemed OK then we as a society are doomed. For an obviously extreme example all guards at the Nazi death camps were following orders. Contrast that to the Safeway employee that stepped in to stop some moron kicking his pregnant girl friend despite the rules. I know which one I want around me.

7. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

If the published news story is correct, and since people can easily die from an asthma attack, is the nurse not qualified to recognize an emergency medical situation like that? Since she blindly followed the schools policy, at the risk of the child's life, why is she being allowed to even be in the medical field in the first place? Did she graduate from the Wall Mart school of nursing?

Also, if the mother's comments are correct about his consent form being in the school system for years, where is it? Do parents have to resubmit that form more than once or how does that process work?

If, in fact, the news story is correct, and I had to rush to a school to revive my own child because some dumbass nurse, teacher, or school Principle refused to allow the child to use his required medicine, I would have been jailed for punching someone in the nose just to get their attention.

Damn, this story is more irritating than the news story I read this morning about some guy getting a ticket for "throwing trash on the ground" after dropping a dollar bill on the ground while trying to hand it to a man in a wheelchair.:(

8. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Kid wasn't dead in the entire time it took mom to get to the school - pretty sure the attack wasn't as serious as you're all trying to make it out to be.

9. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

Its amazing what governmental nonsense people are willing to put up with these days.

10. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

Yeah, it might not have been however, was anyone there that could foretell the future well enough to know that it wasn't serious? How would one tell? If the kid was passing out and falling to the floor why would the nurse assume that it wasn't serious? Just saying......

11. JTW

JTW Well-Known Member

Sorry Mongo but I have to disagree. A good friend of mine died from an asthma attack. It came on slowly (over the course of a couple hours) and by the time he got home to use his inhaler it was too late. His windpipes had closed and his inhaler was of no use no matter how much he used it apparently (I wasn't there. His parents found him dead). Yes he should have had the inhaler on him at all times but for some reason that day he didn't and it cost him his life.
    Point being that just because he was "ok" doesn't mean he actually was.
    Regarding the paperwork...those forms are a pain in the ass and I've had to fill them out numerous times because either my kid forgot to hand them in or they were lost by the secretary. I wouldn't be so quick to assume that the parent didn't fill it out. It doesn't sound like she did but one has to infer that from the article as its not stated.

12. STT-Rider

STT-Rider Well-Known Member

Nurse need to be waterboarded. We can see how she likes not being able to get a breath and thinking she might die.

13. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Well, it is a pure guess of course, but I'd say the trained healthcare professional had/has more of a clue than most as for telling the future of a health issue. You're taking the word of people looking to sue as being the true facts - that's never a good idea. No proof the kid was passing out, no proof of anything really even the door being locked. The kids and the moms word isn't enough for me without some sort of backup proof. The mom has already proven she's stupid by not having the paperwork filled out so she needs more proof for me than the school people at this point.

14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

The thing is the kid IS okay. So far there is no proof other than his word and his moms word that he wasn't. When there is more proof I'll gladly change my viewpoint but for now the mom is a known idiot for not doing some simple paperwork and that's all we know for sure.

As for filling it out - I agree things can happen but didn't se admit in the article she didn't do it? I thought either she or the kid agreed to that part. If not then I take back the comments about her and I don't lean towards believing either side :D

15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Go ride a bike Monte, you're making less sense than usual... :Poke:

16. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

Mongo, you relish the role of Contrarian, don't you. :D

17. tzrider

tzrider CZrider

How can he not reply "No"?....

18. R Acree

R Acree Banned

You'd like to think that, wouldn't you? You've beaten my giant, which means you're exceptionally strong, so you could've put the poison in your own goblet, trusting on your strength to save you, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of you. But, you've also bested my Spaniard, which means you must have studied, and in studying you must have learned that man is mortal, so you would have put the poison as far from yourself as possible, so I can clearly not choose the wine in front of me.

Sorry, this is what came to mind :D

19. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

There's something missing from that article. Oh yeah, the other side of the story.

20. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

Why? Many didn't need the other side of the story in the Trayvon case.