1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drones set to share sky with domestic air traffic

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Joe Morris, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Drones set to share sky with domestic air traffic

Kind of old news but this is the first time I've read a date for full implementation: "Politicians have given the Federal Aviation Authority (FAA) until 2015 to prepare its air traffic systems for the use of drones, both commercial and military, over US territory."

2. auminer

auminer Renaissance Redneck

In a related note, I am rereading 1984 again for the first time since, well, 1984.

Fookin crazy to see just where we're at in comparison to where we were then. I'm pretty sure I'll be dirt napping before it gets anywhere close to Orwell's vision, but damned if there aren't aspects of it getting very close to reality.

Go give it a read... even if you have before.

3. Sacko DougK

Sacko DougK Well-Known Member

That's kind of misleading. The Sep 30, 2015 date was established in the FAA Reauthorization Bill for the regulations for full integration into the NAS. Full integration, meaning aircraft operating in the Victor and Jet routes at medium to high altitudes will not happen until closer to 2020. There is still quite a bit of technology that has to be developed for routine operations in the NAS to happen. Most immediately and pressing is "sense and avoid". The TCAS system is not the solution, just a step.

We hope to be operating STAUS (small tactical aerial unmanned systems) or Tier I for commercial purposes by 2014 in the US. We can currently operate outside of the US in other markets that permit operations legally. Depending on the country, we can operate Medium Altitude Long Endurance aircraft as well in the commercial market or for humanitarian purposes.

4. Sacko DougK

Are you that worried about manned aircraft? Because there really isn't much difference. Actually, for intel gathering purposes, the manned aircraft have greater surveillance capabilities. Specifically electronic surveillance. The same laws that prohibit the military and limit the police from using aircraft to "watch" everyone apply to UAS's also.

5. Joe Morris

Doug, which industries are eyeing unmanned aircraft for commercial use? Oh, and thanks for the info. Why am I not reading more about this? I worked on F15's way back when and this technology is interesting to me.

6. charles

charles The Transporter

I will get several drones for lease, equipped to take care of 'problems' for prospective clients. It will be much better, and more satisfying, than hiring attorneys.

7. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Now this is a superb example of the ingenuity that made this country great. Kudos, Sir Charles.:beer:

8. Sacko DougK

The first commercial market that will open will be first responders. That is primarily for manufacturers of STAUS type of aircraft. Per the FAA Reauthorization Bill, the FAA was directed to establish a plan for public agencies to have immediate access to these aircraft, they were given 6 months as of Feb 14, 2012. Those plans are still not finalized. They were supposed to have identified 6 test sites by 15 Aug 2012. Those will not be identified until after the election (I was told that during a conference call with the FAA last June). Anyway, market wise, first responder will be the first and a fairly large marker initially for manufacturers and leasing providers. The problem with the public first responder market is that it prohibits the service providers from operating.

The next market once the STAUS can operate commercially will be pretty wide spread. But agriculture and infrastructure inspections will be large as well as imagery for various industries and reasons. Home inspections, photography, cinematography, construction, etc. As higher operating aircraft are integrated the commercial applications change to having unmanned cargo aircraft flying transoceanic to communication applications.

What my company is doing is working on higher level autonomy to remove the human from the loop and incorporating human skill sets into the software to perform specific missions or tasking independent of human interaction. We are using proprietary software to develop higher levels of intelligence allowing multiple vehicles to work together. air/air, air/ground, air/marine, air/ground/marine in various combinations and numbers. Our first market is agriculture for precision inspections to identify stressors in high margin crops.

9. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Amerika is a fascist shit hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Welcome to 1984, knock knock at your front door.

11. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

[​IMG]

12. Sacko DougK

You are now written into all of our code. :p

13. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

uber alles Mr. K.

14. Sacko DougK

15. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

Robotics!! Killing American jobs one task at a time!

ok, just kidding. that shit is actually ultra cool. How long before you guys can make one that is bangable and can cook?

16. Sacko DougK

The humanoid stuff is kinda out of our realm. The core algorithm can be applied to that, hence why we met with them. But the specific use has many more I/O's than a vehicle does. The API development would be a very big and expensive project.

17. Flex Axlerod

Flex Axlerod Banned

yet the mission seems so easy.

vagina: check
    no vocal cords: check
    can cook a mean chicken friend steak: check

:D

18. Sacko DougK

It all works great, until you add the vagina. Then it all goes downhill. It won't work right, breaks down for no apparent reason, can no longer drive a car, and it starts to leak hyd fluid every month on a regular basis. It gets even worse when we put a metal clasp onto it's ring finger as it refuses to do anything it's programmed to do.

19. Sacko DougK

Joe, one industry that I left out is mining. Mining is going to be a large user of air and ground systems working in conjuction to perform certain tasks.

20. Joe Morris

Thanks for all the info Doug. I'm jealous you're working on this and I'm not. :beer: