1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Drixton CB350, what class?

Discussion in 'WERA Vintage' started by CharlieY, Apr 7, 2016.

1. CharlieY

CharlieY Well-Known Member

Hey Ya'll, its been awhile.

I was thinking about buying a Drixton chassis, and setting it up similar to Buff's pink monster.

I was thinking V1 like any other built 350, but reading the rulebook this is catching my eye, but I do realize the implications here....

“GP” - These classes are for older factory “purpose built” racers and street machines which may be built up with any “of the period” GP, engine, transmission and frame modifications.

What class does Buff run?

I hope everyone is well.

2. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

Who are you and what have you done with the real CY?

3. CharlieY

Ha....that dude is still locked in the basement lab at Lockheed. :)

Hope you are well Dean.

What are your thoughts, oh-former-V1-and-V2 National Champion?

4. Robin172

Robin172 Well-Known Member

The way the rules are now it is not a GP bike.

5. CharlieY

Yeah, that's kinda the way I was reading it.....right up until you get to the index rule for the CB350....I was scratching my head.

Geesh, talk about the conflict, huh? I then started thinking about the motor, stock or unlimited, and they are both there too.

You OK Robin?

6. CharlieY

So where ARE you seeing it Robin?

7. charles

charles The Transporter

I have absolutely nothing to add here to your dialogue about a Drixton, except to say I think it is a nifty piece of work…at one time, years ago, I fancied one myself. But sanity prevailed...

Okay, more importantly, why aren't you riding a 2-stroke screamer, on which you can power-slide through turns like in the good ol' days?

8. Robin172

Charlie, 350GP rules:

350 GP

Pre 1970 2 stroke twins up to 250cc.

Pre 1968 4 stroke twins up to 350cc.

Pre 1969 4 stroke singles up to 350cc.

Pre 1979 factory road racers up to 125cc.

Honda 350cc twins with the following limitations: OEM Honda twin frame and swingarm (frame per Superbike rules, swingarm must remain stock), all other items must remain per Superstock rules except the following: any ignition system and coils, aftermarket cam chain and/or tensioners, any internal expanding drum brakes, any diameter period forks to class maximum diameter, any period body work/fairing, starter and charging system may be removed, wiring harness may be modified and airbox may be removed.

9. yamageezer

yamageezer Well-Known Member

CY, quit being a pussy and build a V1 bike with a drixton frame. Worst case, I'll ride it for you! Or just build something out of your massive stash of parts and frames and race what you got!

10. Steve 976

Steve 976 Well-Known Member

11. Robin172

Oh, the irony.

yamageezer likes this.
  12. CharlieY

Yes Robin, I see that, but I'll leave this here AGAIN so you can see it also. :) as stated, they kinda conflict.

So, again Mr. Scudder, so WHERE are you seeing it entered?

Yo Steve Upchurch....hope you are well sir.

And as for you Mr Middleton.....being 400 miles away from my massive stash, and living in someones daughters bedroom after she has moved on, is hampering things, but not overcomable. .....and, ya wanker, like building a bike for you to ride is at the top of my wish list. wink wink :).....good talking with you the other day sir.

Shout out to ChuckS.....I need some triumph 500 street parts!!!!

So....is Stan Lipert building Drixtons?.....anyone else in the US?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  13. Robin172

They don't conflict only if you use a Super Hawk engine.

350 GP

Pre 1970 2 stroke twins up to 250cc.

Pre 1968 4 stroke twins up to 350cc.

Pre 1969 4 stroke singles up to 350cc.

Pre 1979 factory road racers up to 125cc.

Honda 350cc twins with the following limitations: OEM Honda twin frame and swingarm (frame per Superbike rules, swingarm must remain stock), all other items must remain per Superstock rules except the following: any ignition system and coils, aftermarket cam chain and/or tensioners, any internal expanding drum brakes, any diameter period forks to class maximum diameter, any period body work/fairing, starter and charging system may be removed, wiring harness may be modified and airbox may be removed.

Among the eligible 350 GP machines are the following: Aermacchi/H-D 350cc 4-stroke singles; AJS 7R 4-speed; BSA 350, BSA 441; Bultaco 125/200 TSS; Ducati 350; Honda 305 Superhawk, CR-77 and the restricted 350cc twins listed above; Norton 350; Royal Enfield 500cc singles any year; Suzuki X-6, T-250;Yamaha TD1, B, C, and DS7(up to 3mm over) without carb restrictions.

14. CharlieY

Robin, you are arguing with the past.

3rd time....where do you see it?....let me rephrase, what class do you see a drixton 350 in?

15. Robin172

I don't see one listed anywhere, but this what I have come up with:

In 350GP a Drixton frame would be OK as long as you used a pre 1968 4 stroke twin engine in it, or be indexed into 500GP?

As a V1 bike I don't think it would be eligible but it maybe V2 or 3. Again I would think it would be indexed in too.

I'd say definitely eligible for Formula 500.

16. CharlieY

Cool, OK, thanx Robin.

17. Robin172

And by a pre-1968 engine I don't mean that one that Giannini put together, great piece if engineering but not really kosher.

yamageezer likes this.
  18. craig641

craig641 Well-Known Member

Robin, Just curious, why would a replica of a gp frame be ok but a replica of a motor wouldn't?

19. WERA854

WERA854 Well-Known Member

Charlie,
    Your prayers have been answered! With the money you don't spend on that Drixton frame you can have my entire V1 winning CB350 for less than I have in the motor. I'll skip the details because I'll post them in a new thread, but basically you'd get a fully developed winning racebike.

The production frame is a lump, but the chassis has been optimized so the handling is superb (for a Honda). At 285 lbs it's about as light as it's going to be legally without investing in a special frame, but with a brand new 46 RWHP motor it's going to be quite competitive.

[​IMG]

20. 90kacoupe

90kacoupe Novice seeking Help

If Charlie isn't interested. I know somebody that may be. I know both my Dad and a friend of mind are interested in joining me as a new vintage racer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk