1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dogs... Do they let you know when it's time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Hyperdyne, Oct 2, 2018.

1. K51000

K51000 Well-Known Member

I feel your pain,
    During my first undergrad degree, I got a dog from the Austin (TX) SPCA. He was really young, maybe 6-8wks old.
    IN a nutshell- he was my best friend, went EVERYWHERE with me, etc. for 11 years.
    People that didn't even like dogs, after they met him, hung out for a few hours, would tell me (more than once), Todd, if you ever can't keep 'Bock' (after Shiner Bock Beer),
    I'll take him!
    In his 11th year, he began to slow more than usual, and develops ascites (fluid in the abdomen), we had to put him down ( Was very healthy, but developed a GI cancer). He had trouble getting up in the end (unusal for him), but when we went to the vet for it. He didn't want to be helped, and got up himself and walked in- he too knew it was time.
    Days after this, I traveled to Tucson (where I went to Grad school),
    when I arrived, the first thing my friends said that I hadn't seen in a few years said was, 'Where's Bock'
    Which instantly had me crying like a baby. This was about 30 years ago, and his memory brings tears to my eyes typing this.

2. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

Yes, they will let you know. In my experience(s), the first thing you notice is simply that 'something is real wrong'. They get real slow and sad looking, which only makes it worse for you. Then they don't eat. When they won't drink, it is time. If you can get your vet to come to your home, it is easier for both of you. The process is very peaceful, they just go to sleep. I can't say the same for myself, crying like a little girl. The thing you have to remember is that you are doing the right thing for them.

Now I need to go get something out of my eye.

3. sharkattack

sharkattack Rescued pets over people. All day, every day

Having just put my dog down (RIP Amber), I can tell you, with 100% degree of certainty, you WILL NOT always know when your dog is hurting. Amber never winced, cried or yelped in pain...but it was obvious she was in some severe pain near the end. Please have your vet give you a thorough diagnosis and go from there. your dog could very well have another medical condition that is NOT arthritis that is giving him pain. Amber had lymphoma, and only a full work up at the vet would've revealed it. All of the signs that you mention in your initial post scream TAKE ME TO THE VET! I'M HURTING!

4. sharkattack

And please, please, please...do not hang onto the dog or postpone the inevitable because of how hard you think it'll be on you, your wife/SO, or your kids. When the time comes, it's all about your dog. As I mentioned in my thread about putting Amber to sleep, if there's ANY WAY you can have it done at home, do it. Sell race parts, eat Raaman noodles, give up smokes/Starbucks/eating out/etc. Having the dog pass in her/his home, surrounded by their family while snacking on their favorite treats is the very least that you owe them.

Banditracer, pkaustin and Phl218 like this.
  5. Phl218

Phl218 .

our 11 y.o. Emily (Boxer) wasn't happy any more. wouldn't hold food, wouldn't drink went outside 20 times during the night, the tumor on the liver got really big quick.

we wouldn't want to put her through a surgery with 20% success chance at that age. so on a Sunday, we had the vet come to our house, get reconfirmation on "what's the best thing to do" and spent the last hour with her. (after i dug her grave for 2 hours through dry clay). he put her down in our house, with us right next to her. her heart stopped beating after 5 seconds, where as other dogs usually take way longer than that. it was time.

6. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Not going to lie, I wish I had taken Roxy home.

The vet didnt offer an in home service, but they knew someone who did.

The only reason I chose to do it while at the vet.....we were there, she had an IV port in and it was the quickest way to go ahead and end her pain. I don't know what the time table was for the inhome service to come...I just knew it's what I had to do and I didn't wany her to suffer so I said do it now.

I continued to hold her, as I had been doing for the previous 2 hours. My wife was there...she knew we loved her and we were talking her through it.

Still....at home in the yard would've been more more peaceful for her.

Phl218 and sharkattack like this.
  7. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You made the right call, taking her out of the vets and home and waiting wouldn't have made it a single bit better and could have put her through more.

Boman Forklift and Phl218 like this.
  8. sharkattack

The service we used; I can't recommend them enough. Maybe they're available in your area. If not, reach out to them and ask for a referral.

https://www.lapoflove.com/Home

9. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

Hope you guys get some good news today from the vet.

Had to make the decision with the guy in my profile pic a couple years ago (he was 11) after a major stroke. He bounced back amazingly in less than a week, but the vet found a large inoperable growth on his adrenal gland. That thing basically was described as a stroke/heart attack time bomb with no guarantee that the next one would get him either. Couldn't let him keep going through that. :( Having a little son now, I can't thank that dog enough for all the things he prepared me for.

sharkattack likes this.
  10. NemesisR6

NemesisR6 Gristle McThornbody

We had to say goodbye to our pup a little over a year ago after a long, slow decline as a result of degenerative myelopathy, which is a nervous system disease that causes them to basically become paralyzed from the midsection down until they no longer have any control.

For the last 6 months, we has to use a homemade sling to get her outside to do her business and make sure she wasn't getting sores from being relatively stationary. Once it got to the point that she couldn't control her bowels, wasn't eating, and just seems unhappy (she would still get excited to see us every day up until that last week or so) , we made the appointment.

Best of luck to you.......

11. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

I have a friend that couldn't bring herself to do it and drug it out way too long for the dog. We only see them like once every 3 months and one night Pat says Otis, the dog is getting bad, having trouble getting around etc. Going to have to put him down soon. Next time we see them I ask if she did it yet, no, he's not too much worse etc. I knew she was avoiding the decision. I talked to her husband on the phone before we saw them again and he told how bad Otis was, said it was past time. When I saw Pat I gave her some shit about it, told her she shouldn't be making the dog suffer just because she couldn't deal with it. It must have hit home because she did it a few days later. Has since told me you were right, I should have done it sooner.

sharkattack and Phl218 like this.
  12. Scott47

Scott47 Well-Known Member

It sucks to lose them. Then I foolishly waited 7 years to get another who we love also. Heal up and rescue a homeless dog. There are millions out there.

13. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

So a bit of good news... Vet says that he's got a bacterial infection and that is what's causing the majority of his issues. We got some heavy duty meds and some better stuff for his joints. Doc says he's welcome to have some table scraps (meat primarily) to help put some weight back on him. Good news so far!!

Jedb, Chino52405, Yzasserina and 8 others like this.
  14. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Very cool!

15. ClemsonsR6

ClemsonsR6 Well-Known Member

Congrats hyper!!!

16. ScottyRock155

ScottyRock155 A T-Rex going RAWR!

I have to admit I was pretty bummed out reading your initial post, so this is very welcome change of direction from where I thought this was headed. Give Cash some extra loving and lots of toys and delicious treats, he deserves to be spoiled! :D

17. FZ1guy

FZ1guy Hey...watch this

This is great news. For the joint problems, ask your vet about Rimadyl.

18. David-imoddavid

David-imoddavid Well-Known Member

Yeah for you and your friend!!!

19. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Got dirt in my eye

20. pjzocc

pjzocc Well-Known Member

Found out this week that Emmitt, our 14yr old Golden has kidney failure. He’s lost 9 pounds since January (56# now, can feel all his bones) and his liver enzymes are up. He’s now on special formula dog chow for kidney health, and he seems to be a bit more eager to eat. But I’m struggling with it all. He’s been declining for months. Needs help getting up. Yelps often to make sure we’re still near him (eyesight is much diminished).

[​IMG]

Here he is with our new addition, Teddy Brosevelt.

I keep telling him that the pup isn’t here to replace him and that I need him to show Teddy the ropes. I’m not sure he believes me. Our kids are 11 and 10 and they don’t know life without him. I’m not ready for the old man to finish his tour with us, but I know he’s having tough days. I’ve been giving him more and more from my plate when he’s next to me at chow time, and he gets more quiet time with me. We talk and hang out. It’s gonna suck huge when he gets called away from us.

I’m not ready for it. And I’m struggling with it all. Sorry for the vent but needed an outlet...

Senna likes this.