1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dog shot on Long Island...

Discussion in 'General' started by SundaySocial, Jan 20, 2018.

1. Steeltoe

Steeltoe What's my move?

Doesn't seem very responsible letting his dog run loose when the guy doesn't know the neighborhood. Glad the dog is ok now.

Jon Wilkens likes this.
  2. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What damage is there if you kept it up?

3. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

You're asking alot from a hypothetical situation.

Front fender is busted. Right side bodywork cracked from where the dog hit it. Forks might be bent.

It was a big dog.

4. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

You're the one that made up the hypothetical... :D

I'd replace the stuff on my insurance or my own dime depending on the situation with the dog/owner. If a rare escape purely accidental thing I'll pay, normal SOP for the dog to run around loose and in the road, I'll contact my insurance and let them deal with the dog owner. Either way I'm not getting into that shit side of the road with a dead dog laying there. No need for it.

5. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

Same here, 10 yr old boy around the corner won't get anywhere near mine, 3 yr old girl a couple doors down runs up hugs him and wants to hold the leash to walk him. Everyone is different, ran into a homeless guy out in front of the store the other night. Had a huge pit mix with him, easy 90 lbs. Dog started wagging his tail and wiggling around as I walked up. I reached out and petted him, though I'd bet most wouldn't have gotten close to him. Super friendly dog,the owner was surprised I'd get that close. :)

6. dtalbott

My wife hit a neighbor's dog about 200 yards from our house. She was going maybe 15 MPH. Somehow I was the one who had to go talk to the neighbor.

Luckily they knew their dog well enough to know that it was their dog's fault. Instead of just running alongside cars, he liked cutting across the front and circling the car.

Still made me feel bad. Hate seeing a dog caged up so he can't run around, hate seeing a dog not restrained from running everywhere.

7. renegade17

renegade17 Well-Known Member

Radiator, oil cooler, oil lines, front fender, radiator cowls, entire left rear set. Why would you pay for something you are not at fault for?

dtalbott likes this.
  8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

I always ask before patting someone's dog.
    Or their pony.

9. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

What radiator? The Hyper is air cooled and the front fender is way out of the way too :D

10. dtalbott

And you would have just wheelied and bunnyhopped the dog anyway.

11. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

I don't wheelie or bunny hop. A stoppie is very possible though.

dtalbott likes this.
  12. Booger

Booger Well-Known Member

As a kid growing up out in the country in Texas, my Dad’s standard sop for big dogs invading our land was to let our 125# bruiser lab handle things. If the invaders got past “Cowboy”, Dad shot them on sight.

He wasn’t taking a chance of his kids getting mauled or worse.

13. ryoung57

ryoung57 Off his meds

We had a cow get out on the highway one time and get hit. My parents bought that guy a new truck :(

14. Banditracer

Banditracer Dogs - because people suck

Yeah, my dad's team of Belgians got out one night and got in the road a couple years ago.Farms insurance company totaled the car that hit one.

15. Newsshooter

Newsshooter Well-Known Member

What about their horse or chia pet?

16. dobr24

dobr24 Well-Known Member

Dog is considered livestock and the owner is responsible for any damages caused by loose livestock.