1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does the Richard Clark interview on 60 minutes change anyone's mind?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by Joe Morris, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Joe Morris

Joe Morris Off The Reservation

Overall my feelings are unchanged but I noticed Condoleeza Rice was on TV this morning giving rebutals so I guess the administration is pretty worried what people must be thinking. :D

2. Shyster d'Oil

Shyster d'Oil Gerard Frommage

I saw the lead up to it but I was covered in poop and vomit when it was on. then I had to take care of the babies.:D ;)

3. Joe Morris

Well.......the interview was to hype Richard Clark's book that I assume is either on the shelves now or will be very soon. I don't remember the title but I'm sure the meat of the interview is discussed in the book.

The funniest thing I thought he said was that the Bush administration returned to office as though they had been preserved in amber for the last 8 years -- the topic from day one was Iraq.

4. Shyster d'Oil

How about a Cliff Notes version??:D

5. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

I was out in the yard. TLAT Anna hollered, "Hey! Dick Clark's beginnin' to age!"

6. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

7. Joe Morris

Thanks for the link. Now I can quote from the article instead of paraphrasing as I did in my earlier post:

"I blame the entire Bush leadership for continuing to work on Cold War issues when they back in power in 2001. It was as though they were preserved in amber from when they left office eight years earlier. They came back. They wanted to work on the same issues right away: Iraq, Star Wars. Not new issues, the new threats that had developed over the preceding eight years."

8. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

You lead a life most of us can only dream about.

9. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

10. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

I thought the interview was self serving (for Clark as well as CBS) and was total tripe.

11. Shyster d'Oil

I don't necessarily disagree with DaveK about the selfserving part. Whether it is tripe remains to be seen.

And does anyone remember my constructive criticism of RRW regarding the Dunlop conflict of interest? Well, I have to tell you that CBS conflict of interest in promoting a related company's book made the top of my head blow off. :mad:

12. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  13. dokkie

dokkie Member

Also in the Netherlands important news item. On television and in the newspapers, most commentarists (correct English word?) seem not surprised. I 'm anxious to read in this topic what that means for the public opinion about GWB in the US.

14. In Your Corner

I didn't see the interview, but the part I find strange is that the Bush administration has said they were pursuing Bin Laden through diplomatic and law enforcement channels in the months before 9/11 in an effort to avoid military action which might result in death and destruction among civilian populations.

Isn't that exactly the tactic they are being criticized for not employing in regard to Iraq?

I am positive that, without the impetus provided by the attack on the WTC, the military actions necessary to hunt down Bin Laden would have met with the same criticism that Bush's actions in Iraq have met.

It is easy for Clarke to Monday-morning quarterback the situation now.

15. panthercity

panthercity Thread Killa

There was a time in the US of A when there was a difference between reporting the news and commenting on the news. When the networks decided that their news departments should be profit centers rather than a public service, that distinction disappeared.

Now we just refer to the collectively as "talking heads" (and worse). :rolleyes:

16. Joe Morris

I'm a little confused by your response. Team Atomic has a link to a good review of Clarke's interview on 60 Minutes. The little tidbits I've read from Clarke's testimony before the Congressional commitee today take it a step further in his condemnation. What kind of sticks out to me is that George Tenet is brought up by Clarke as sharing his view on terrorism and the perceived threat in the months leading to 9/11 yet Tenet supports Bush's rebutal of Clarke's statements. To me this impacts Clarke's credibility but its hard to know who to believe. Clarke's interview did finally give me a glimpse into the leap in logic involved with pursuing a war in Iraq in the name of fighting al Queda.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2004
  17. dokkie

dokkie Member

Overhere we have commercial as well as "independant" (paid by the government, thus I pay by tax) TV channels. The independant channels are supposed to report and are rather objective.

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

This is what I exactly what I mean, the validy of Clarke's Testmony will come out in the 9/11 hearings and whatever investigation comes up about the war.

I think it pretty damaging to have former cabinet members O'Neill and Clarke come out so strongly against Bush policy.

With this all being said, I am still very upset that this all wasn't discussed before the war started.

19. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Clarke Stays Cool as Partisanship Heats Up

Partison politics is on full boil.

Clarke was ready for that challenge. "Let me talk about partisanship here, since you raised it," he said, noting that he registered as a Republican in 2000 and served President Ronald Reagan. "The White House has said that my book is an audition for a high-level position in the Kerry campaign," Clarke said. "So let me say here, as I am under oath, that I will not accept any position in the Kerry administration, should there be one."

Washington Post Article

20. In Your Corner

Could you expound on this a little more, not having seen the interview I am not sure what point you are making here.

TA- What is your take on the fact that Clarke served as Clinton's anti-terrorism chief and yet the Clinton administration took no effective steps against Bin Laden (or any others involved, for that matter) and even failed to take advantage of several opportunties to kill Bin Laden, to the great frustration of the CIA operatives who were working on doing just that.

Remember there was a series of terrorist attacks leading up to 9-11, including the first attack on the WTC.