1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does helmet Still need to be Snell certified or is ECE ok?

Discussion in 'Information For New Racers' started by Trevor636, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Trevor636

Trevor636 Well-Known Member

Looking at buying a new helmet and found a killer looking one made by LS2 but it only lists DOT and ECE certification. Can it be used on the track to race wera with?

2. Fuzzy317

Fuzzy317 a Crash Truck near you

According to the gospel (aka Rulebook)

11. Riders clothing and protective requirements:

a) All WERA competitors must wear helmets which have a Snell ’00 thru ‘15 approval sticker, or must be BSI or EC approved and must be in good condition (as determined by Tech) and not manufactured more than 5 years prior to the date of the event.. Helmets must be taken to Technical Inspection and must display a WERA Helmet Tech decal prior to being allowed on the track. Open-faced, modular, and dirt bike helmets are not allowed.

Be sure to check the manufacture date!!!!!

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Trevor636

Trevor636 Well-Known Member

Ok so it does say ec approved i guess the means ECE will work. Ya im ordering it brand new from sportbike track gear.

4. tawzx12r

tawzx12r Influencer to none

Better call ahead and check the born on date....

5. Dave675

Dave675 Well-Known Member

Don't be afraid to hit up TJ at riders discount, either. I have got a couple really good deals on helmets with a fresh date on them.

6. Shenanigans

Shenanigans in Mr.Rogers neighborhood

Draik Beauchamp is sponsored by LS2 and wore them all last season in Moto America and some WERA stuff, I would think you are fine.

7. ajcjr

ajcjr Well-Known Member

is ECE just as good as a snell rating? I have always wore Arai but found the LS2 and it says its :

A high performance, full-face motorcycle helmet designed by racers for racers. Arrow was developed by our designers and engineers in Spain working with our riders from MOTOGP, MOTO2 and MOTO3. Together, they developed the safest, most innovative performance helmet on the market. The face shield is the tallest in the industry, allowing you to see farther up track without a kink in your neck. The shell is very aerodynamic. The fit is snug. We call it a 200 M.P.H. fit. Some riders may want to go up one size. Please note: this website shares images with our international partners and in some cases images of products may very slightly from actual U.S. offerings. In our effort to offer the best possible product to our consumers, specifications are subject to change. Please check with your LS2 dealer or representative for the latest product information.

So, I know when you spend more doesn't always mean you get more but why is this carbon helmet half the price of an Arai? Am I missing something?

8. _indy

_indy Well-Known Member

I have sent Snell and Dot emails asking about age.
    BOTH replied they consider the time to live when the helmet is put in service. Also the time to live date is determined by the manufacture.
    http://www.smf.org/helmetfaq#aWhyReplace

reply from DOT.

To
    Message body
    Dear Mr. Bowers: I am responding to your inquiry regarding helmet life that you sent the NHTSA hotline.

NHTSA does not require an expiration date (or helmet life) on motorcycle helmets. Helmet manufacturers set their own expiration date or helmet life. It is likely that a helmet life of 5 years is an industry practice. Reasons for setting an expiration date or helmet life could be

1.Possible deterioration of the shell, foam, and other parts of the helmet due to aging, environmental effects, and use, and

2.Possible loss/breakage of parts

I believe the life of a helmet is determined from the day of manufacture. However, you may want to confirm with the manufacturer.

I hope this information is helpful.

Shashi Kuppa

9. JBall

JBall REALLY senior member

While it's logical that the expiration date of a helmet should come from when it goes into service, this is impossible to check at tech. Tech just looks at the born on date. I understand Riders Discount is pretty good about getting you a "fresh" one if you let them know it's for racing.

10. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Yep, we enforce things as equitably as possible but we still have to enforce them.