1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone else have a garage that smells like gas?

Discussion in 'General' started by hrc_nick_11, Jun 26, 2015.

1. hrc_nick_11

hrc_nick_11 Well-Known Member

I have 7 motorcycles in a 20x20 garage, two street bikes, one grom and four dirt bikes. The dirt bikes all have carb catch cans as I use them on kart tracks.

There is also a lawn mower, generator and snowblower in the same garage.

Every time I open my garage people say wow I smell gas. My first thought is well duh there is at least 10 gas tanks and a few gas cans in here.

Is this normal? Should I be worried? Can I do anything?

2. TurboBlew

TurboBlew Registers Abusers

I usually keep my gas can(s) in a shed or my trailer. Same with lawn equipment. Made the mistake of having a parts washer in my garage attached to the house... never again. :(

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Well, it's normal if you have two street bikes, one grom, four dirty bikes, a lawn mower, a generator and snowblower in the same garage. :D

Well, I wouldn't smoke or run around the garage with a burning road flare wedged in my ass and one in my mouth.

Vent fan.

4. tikki50

tikki50 Well-Known Member

yeah I dont mind the smell. I actually smile when my whole family goes for ice cream and we all smell like 2 strokes! Gas is the smell of fun for us here.

5. cha0s#242

cha0s#242 Ignorance and prejudice and fear walk hand in hand

Stop eating at Taco Bell.

6. zippytech

zippytech Running On Pumpedupness!!

I found that if the tanks have more than half a tank I get less fumes. In fact my ranger 900 when it gets low on gas it stinks the place up big time.

7. G 97

G 97 Garth

I have as much or more of the same items as you in my garage and I typically never smell any gasoline fumes. The one time I did there was a small fuel line leak from one of my motorcycles. I would do a quick check over of everything just in case. I don't think you should be able to smell much if everything is secure/contained etc.

8. hrc_nick_11

My garage is not vented well, no roof vent at all, getting a little mold on the ceiling and moss on the shingles. Maybe I should do like a gable end vent or something.

Nothing is leaking, that I have found.

Seems to happen more in the spring when the temp swing from night to day is greater.

9. Slider82

Slider82 Well-Known Member

Are all the petcocks off? All the catch cans empty?

10. hrc_nick_11

Street bikes are open but have fuel pumps, dirt bikes are closed carbs drained catch cans drained.

All carb drained fuel goes into the lawn mower.

11. Black89

Black89 Well-Known Member

Try storing a bike with MR12 in a garage that has the air handler in it...

12. Britt

Britt Well-Known Member

Water heater or furnace in there... Anyother form of spark??
    If so Booooooom.. Is possible.

13. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Yeap, a dude I used to know lost a boss 302 and his garage with that combo.

14. beac83

beac83 "My safeword is bananna"

My thought is that you don't have any venting in the garage. Might want to look into adding some.

15. rd400racer

rd400racer Well-Known Member

Even with venting you shouldn't be getting a smell strong enough to notice. I've got 8 bikes (4 of them old two strokes) a lawn mower and about 8 jugs of various gasses and I can't smell gas at all.

16. jeffr1ey

jeffr1ey Well-Known Member

I had an issue with MR12, but I just leave it in the trailer now.

17. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

2 cars, 2 bikes, snowblower, lawnmower, leaf blower, weedwacker

The only time the garage ever smelled like gas was when the gasket on the snowblowers carb float bowl was leaking and there was gas dripping onto the floor. Other wise no smell.

18. GixxerBlade

GixxerBlade Oh geez

I have an empty can of MR12 in the garage and can still smell that stuff!

19. I do.

I keep an empty can of U4.4 in there for the smell.

20. hrc_nick_11

Maybe I should check the mower and the snow blower, I know the bikes are not leaking.