1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you think some engines on certain bikes are more prone to blow up????

Discussion in 'General' started by RoadracerR123, Sep 9, 2008.

1. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

I blew my motor at California speedway a couple weeks ago. Upon asking around the pits everyone's consensus was "oh of course it was a suzuki, those engines blow up all the time..."

This got me thinking that maybe for a privateer a different manufacturer might be better for engine reliability...

Any thoughts?

2. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

was it a stock motor?
    how long have you been running the motor?
    when was the last time you've torn the motor down to inspect the internal of said motor?

lets start there first!

3. GAMBLER

GAMBLER Neard supporter

I think Honda has a solid rep cept for the dirtbikes

4. dtalbott

dtalbott Driving somewhere, hauling something.

Which crank were you using?

5. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

new r6's by far have had the largest amount of blowups. everyone i know who has one has atleast had 1 go this year, some have had 4-6 go. suzukis are usually pretty solid

6. gpstar748

gpstar748 Well-Known Member

mmm...........i think yamaha's would seem that way BUT since soooo many people are running the R6 it just seems more prevalent

i know Knapp has blown quite a few motors in his Kawi this season and i know other people who have blown there Kawi motors as well............

i think its all a matter of luck and how well you maintain and how much you build/modify

7. RoadracerR123

RoadracerR123 Well-Known Member

My motor was built by John Ethell (Erion Honda) and had one race weekend on it. It was a superstock built motor. I blew a valve. I wanted to cry. That weekend was the most expensive weekend of racing I've ever had.

8. TEAMLIKETYSPLIT

TEAMLIKETYSPLIT In Limbo

Funny, i know of a couple of stock cbr's that ate valves here recently

9. owndjoo

owndjoo muthapucka

he's blown a bit more of the yammie motors this year though...

the percentage of r6's that have blown up are much higher. atleast up here in the NC. I have yet to see a new r6 make it through the season without atleast 1 pop.

10. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

To answer the original poster's question, yes I'd say that engines in gary's bikes are definitely more likely to blow up.

:D

(sorry...it really was a hanging fastball)

11. Nicky v

Nicky v Well-Known Member

The new R6s are a powder keg. Just ask any of us North Central guys. 4 R6's blew up this year at Gingerman. One guy is on his 3rd motor this year. I've never heard anyone complain about Suzuki's blowing up... or any other bike for that matter

12. woodyracing

woodyracing Well-Known Member

03+ SV650s have a similar reputation

13. 9mil

9mil Yea, that's right

Thats kinda like saying a nascar blew up at a nascar race....when about 80%(dont quote me on that, but you get my point- hell, its probably more) of all bikes roadraced are suzuki's- suzuki's are what tends to blow up....much like all the natural lights in my cooler got drunk...Natural Light was all that was in my cooler - :up:

just an idea- no one yell at me

14. Sig

Sig Well-Known Member

80%? Maybe 80% of the literbike class.

15. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Stock GSXR1000 motors are some of the most resilient I've ever seen. I know of a couple with 20k+ HARD miles on them with no problems whatsoever.

16. +1 From what I have seen and experienced, Honda makes the most reliable motors.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

But how many Hondas do you see at the track? Not as many as the other three brands. That's not to say Hondas aren't reliable.

18. iceman017

iceman017 alive and kicking

Although my GSXR 600 motor is stock, i raced it hard for two seasons with no problems at all and still do trackdays. I've never been into it (I know I should at least check it though). It's got at least 6 or 7k race miles - never driven on the street since new. Oh yeah, two endurance races as well.

19. There were very distinct reasons for that which are now addressed (engine cases).

20. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

all these R-6's, hmmmmmm wonder how many Jensen's gone through?