1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do you set off airport/TSA metal detectors?

Discussion in 'General' started by ChuckS, Dec 6, 2011.

1. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Haven't had to do any air travel since getting screws & a little plate in my hand.

Was wondering if the rest of you with aftermarket go-fast titanium plates, pins, & screws implanted in your selves set off the metal detectors when going through security, and how you handled it?

2. gt#179

gt#179 Dirt Dork

Im curious as well. since i'm now sporting a ti plate and screws in my shoulder, I haven't flown yet. luckily I am not at the job where I was flying 100k miles a year any more, but still would be nice to know what i'm getting into when I go to the airport again.

3. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Really, it depends on the metal detector. Some go off if you forget to take a paperclip out of your pocket, others you can walk through carrying a bumper off a 1974 lincoln.

Get a note from your doctor about the plate as a just in case.

4. BC

BC Well-Known Member

I have a plate and 6 screws and never set them off.

5. tittys04

tittys04 Well-Known Member

Most of the time, no. I have a TI rod in my left leg with SS screws, and 2 plates in my left shoulder with 4 screws each. I have only had 1 instance at an airport where they picked up on it, and one instance somewhere else (can't recall where, but it was some place that was screening for security). In both cases, they wanded me and asked if I had bolt-ons, and I said yes. This was a few years ago though... lately I have had no issues at all.

6. tittys04

I asked my doc about this, but he said it wasn't worth it because it really doesn't hold any water, those notes are too easy to forge. He said the best way to handle it was to politely tell them where your hardware was, let them pat you down in that area, and move on. It's worked for me so far.

7. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Got to wonder about the popcorn popper naked scanner and if you spark up like a spoon in the microwave if you go through that with a plate and screws? :D

8. tittys04

I've done that too... and I thought the same thing. I asked like 3 times before I went in, but they assured me it was safe.

Well... I didn't blow up like a cd while I was in it, I don't know if I would go so far as to say it's safe... but that's for another discussion.

9. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Cousin Eddie: They had to replace my metal plate with a plastic one. Every time Catherine would rev up the microwave, I'd piss my pants and forget who I was for about half an hour. :D

10. ekraft84

ekraft84 Registered User

There's nothing better than movie quotes during the holidays from Cousin Eddie or Clark. :D

I have a plate and 8-10 screws in my collarbone. It doesn't go off at airport security.

11. Brian129

Brian129 Too many projects

they are weird, I walk through most times no porblem, even forgetting things in my pocket.

My wife, get stopped, has to strip all jewlery off, and still gets dinged.
    Though last time we travelled she was wearing a strapless bra, with lots of wire crap in it (man those things dont look comfortable) but uhh, it was a sizeable amount of metal.

12. sdg

sdg *

ditto

13. YAM#849

YAM#849 y'all watch this...

What about carrying a copy of your x-ray?

14. tittys04

you could, and you could get a note from your doctor, but in the end they are going to treat you the same way so it's not really worth it. If you set off the walk-thru, they are going to wand you or pat you down whether you have that or not, just to be sure there's nothing else on you that you are trying to sneak in. It's no big deal, do what they ask and you will walk right through.

15. ChuckS

ChuckS Well-Known Member

Right on, thanks for the info.

Mine being in my hand, I figured I'd just point to the zipper on the back of my hand and let'em wand it.

When I was traveling more for work I seemed to attract extra attention at the checkpoints. Could have been the long hair/tattoos/piercings, though.:rock:

16. Huey130

Huey130 Chief wrench thrower

I've never set it off...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. rugbymook

rugbymook Under Construction

I have a rod in my leg, plates in my face, arm, and leg. Have yet to set it off in 12 strolls through the scanner.

18. Dave K

Dave K DaveK über alles!

Jeebus f@ckin crust, Hooooooey! :eek:

19. Thistle

Thistle Well-Known Member

Three titanium plates in my cheek bone and jaw with 11 screws. Never set anything off. Pretty small though.

20. :stupid:

I have a plate and 9 screws in my left collarbone, a plate and 9 screws in my left wrist and a plate in 7 screws in my right ankle and only once, I think it was either Indonesia or Malaysia did I actually set one off (im not even real sure if those things are what caused it).

But as previously mentioned, I carry around a 5x7 x-ray of the plates/screws just in case.