1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do carbon exhaust cans hold up over time?

Discussion in 'General' started by Bob E., Apr 16, 2007.

1. Bob E.

Bob E. _________________________

Do carbon cans hold up over time or do they have a tendency to fade/burn/rattle?

Specifically I'm thinking of along the lines of Yosh TRC, Leo Vince Factory or Akrapovic Hex single side slip on for a street only '07 GSXR1000.

2. (diet)DrThunder

(diet)DrThunder Why so serious, son?

If you keep them packed fresh, they last pretty well. If you ignore the packing, they will get brown and brittle over lots of use.

3. Bob E.

So you are saying that Ti or Stainless would be a better choice for the procrastination poster boy? :D

Thanks Dave.

BTW, glad you stayed on the bike the other day. That could have been nasty.

4. cgordon3

cgordon3 I need a new bike...

Ti holds up better if it hits the ground. That is for sure.

5. (diet)DrThunder

Some carbon cans are built with an inner heat shioeld these days, so as to avoid the burning problem. I have had 2 different carbon exhausts, and in both cases I was lazy with the packing, and in both cases theny looked like crap after a couple of years / 30,000 miles or so.

6. G 97

G 97 Garth

Who uses odometers on race bikes. :Poke: :D

7. (diet)DrThunder

Nobody, I'd guess.

8. Ontheedgeprsprt

Ontheedgeprsprt Pumpkin riders

I've had a carbon DnD pipe on my ZX9 since '03, about 20,000 miles, and sat a whole year outside in the sun/snow/rain, etc... It's not the highest end pipe out there and it's still holding up fine. Never repacked, and it's probably going to rust out before the carbon looks bad.

9. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

the limiting factor is going to be the crash...

I'd place strong money on a crash taking out an exhaust system LONG before age does. And in a crash, from what I've experienced, metal holds up better than CF does. TI & CF cans weigh about the same, so, assuming price is the same I would vote TI (which I've typically run).

10. (diet)DrThunder

Remember, he's talking about a street bike, not a race bike. If the rider is experienced, there is a very good chance it will never be crashed.

11. G 97

G 97 Garth

My opologies, I was unaware people rode those on the street.

12. Chango Malo

Chango Malo Well-Known Member

Some green squids told me STREET is where its at, FAGGOT!

13. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Not necessarily........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Chango Malo

Chango Malo Well-Known Member

I gots to hab 1 dem horse collars por my bike pronto!

Does it come in squid green?

15. Bob E.

Dave has it right, the '07 GSXR will be for street only. I have a '05 1K for playing on the track.

I like the way the carbon looks new but if they do sometimes fade I'll go with Ti.
    Thanks.

16. EXPERT35

EXPERT35 Well-Known Member

Sorry, But those clamp scrapers look like S@@t. Any crash at speed would rip them off or cause other damage. I could see it saving damage falling over while being still or very slow speed.

17. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

Saw a squid burn a hole in his CF exhaust doing a burnout one time. He was sparying nitrous at the same time too. (Does it get anymore squidly than that.)

18. Team Atomic

Team Atomic Go Go SOX!

Not to mention, the clamp would dig into the CF on the reverse side. Might keep you can from getting scuffed from tip-overs while trailering / garage.

19. APA

APA Well-Known Member

Everyone has their looks opinion but....... as far as coming off......Not true guys. They have been extensively tested for 2 years. Other than a in line 4 melting issue that has been corrected there has been zero problems.

Silly rabbit........Sliders slide.....not dig in.

This slider was down twice...... once was a 4th gear low side.

[​IMG]

20. JeF4y

JeF4y Sweet Tea & Grits!

pfft... exhaust protectors... Y'all ain't tryin hard enough...

[​IMG]

But it was worth it.. It was the fastest lap of my life at Gingerman.