1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

DIY: Fork spring compressor

Discussion in 'Tech' started by mmnotch, Apr 12, 2011.

1. mmnotch

mmnotch Member

Well I thought i would share this. I needed to change out my for springs and was not going to spend $100 on a tool i will use once. So I rigged up some ratchet straps and some hooks from bungee straps. Anyways they worked perfect.

Attached Files:

2. Rhino48

Rhino48 Well-Known Member

well played.

3. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

I made my tool on my own too. Take a piece of black iron pipe larger than the diameter of the outer tube, drill two holes, tap them and run a bolt in each side long enough to engage the holes. Use the ratchet straps like shown above.

4. mmnotch

mmnotch Member

I like that idea, sounds like something worth keeping around too.

5. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

If you look at the motion pro? tool thats all it really is. You really dont have to tap the pipe, just put on both sides of the pipe wall and set the depth and tighten them against the pipe like a jamb nut. I say use larger pipe because when i did my forks last time i ran into the issue i need to pull down slightly more and I couldnt because the pipe wasnt large enough to go over the outer tube that 1/16th of an inch more i needed.

6. doubleapex

doubleapex Well-Known Member

7. Handicapped Racer

Handicapped Racer Well-Known Member

you cheap bastids are gonna kill someone

8. Spitz

Spitz Well-Known Member

Well shit if it was only 35 bucks i woulda just bought the kit. Thought they were more along the lines of 80$. At least enough for me to justify my efforts.

ps- these springs are childs play. Try putting front springs in a 2wd s10 if you really want a fight you'll lose. :D

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011