1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Diversity=yes? Cultural appropriation=no?

Discussion in 'The Dungeon' started by DrA5, Jan 30, 2018.

1. DrA5

DrA5 The OTHER Great Dane

I seriously do not under the liberal position on this. They keep saying that we need more and more diversity. Diversity is great (except for diversity of thought, but that is a topic for another thread).

But, then if we appreciate diversity, we are not to "appropriate" other cultures.

Liberals physically attack white people that dare wear dreadlocks.
    http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/29118/

Liberals run a white couple out of business because they dared serve "Mexican food".
    http://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/2...-cultural-appropriation-stealing-recipes.html

So, what is it? Are we supposed to silently appreciate other cultures and just give them a quick nod, and go about our own business and dare not cross over to anything that is remotely associated with their culture?

And if this is such an issue, why do they give Elizabeth Warren a pass for getting a cushy teaching position based on her lying about being Native American. If that isn't the top of "Cultural Appropriation", nothing is. Someone finally called her out that wasn't a noted Conservative.
    https://www.infowars.com/cherokee-woman-calls-out-elizabeth-warrens-ancestry-claims/

I'd like to hear people on the left explain this better.

speeddaddy likes this.
  2. In Your Corner

In Your Corner Dungeonesque Crab AI Version

It gets very confusing when the objective is promulgating hate for white Americans.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  3. Brad

Brad Swollen Member

The funny part is all of the diversity will one day diversify all the diversity out of existence! :D Then what will the baiters bitch about?

4. G 97

G 97 Garth

Diversity is awesome. Any doubt, just ask the Native Americans. It worked for them. Oh wait.

5. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Homogeneity

6. SPL170db

SPL170db Trackday winner

https://y.yarn.co/3d76b146-c502-46df-a74a-71dbaed10bd1.mp4?1517347259677

7. Chino52405

Chino52405 Well-Known Member

I think you're right that the whole argument is painting itself into a giant corner, but...I think there are lines in how much you project a culture as being "you" versus influencing you. The burrito girls were ignorant as hell to talk about peeking windows to get secrets from chefs who refused to speak to them. Their stupidity opened the door for them to be publicly roasted.

G 97 likes this.
  8. speeddaddy

speeddaddy Well-Known Member

9. brex

brex Well-Known Member

Homophobe.

10. R Acree

R Acree Banned

Phobeophobe.

11. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Phoebephobe.

12. galloway840

galloway840 Well-Known Member

I generally like to go to Indian Restaurants run by Indians, Mexican by Mexicans, Thai by Thais, etc. It always feels a touch odd when a white dude is the chef in one of those places...

When in San Francisco last summer we ate at all kinds of different restaurants, and what's funny is that multiple cultural backgrounds were employed in many different restaurants. Whites, Latinos, Asians... No problems with any of it, just folks trying to make a living. Heaven forbid a white owner wants to run a Mexican food joint though...

G 97 likes this.
  13. pickled egg

pickled egg Tell me more

Shit, man. I have to stop going to my local. Bunch of hispanics cooking burgers and pizza.

14. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

As far as the left is concerned, just about all of us go through our day to day activities plus listening to all the latest BS coming from the political spectrum without actually thinking very deeply about what we're hearing. When we do actually pay attention, and think about it, it becomes pretty clear that, within the Democratic party, the main culprits of all the idiocy are the leaders of said party. Of course there's the followers that live and breath whatever those leaders say but they too are not paying attention to what's being said or advocated by the leaders.
    Those leaders are so caught up in the power struggle for supremacy in Washington, and local power centers, that they start to sound like they don't give a shit about what is good for the country or the people that live here. I find them to be among the most dishonest beings in the country. They will say, and do, whatever is necessary to get the power back. They lie openly, with a straight face, and expect everyone to believe what they're saying. I don't know which is more insulting, their lying, or their expectation that everyone is stupid enough to believe their lies.
    I know, and agree, that the Republican party has it's share of assholes in office but I still believe that most of them are basically honest with some concern for the well being for others. I have not seen any convincing arguments that any of the Democratic leaders give a rats ass about anyone but themselves.
    If I've hurt anyone's feelings all I can do is say that it's untended. I'm just calling it like I see it.

jasonhise likes this.
  15. Mongo

Mongo Administrator

Vast majority of restaurants other than Indian are really run by Mexican/South Americans. Especially if the food is good :D

One of the places I cooked was mexican food in a place called a pub owned by a dude whose parents were from Portugal and most of the recipes were developed by a black woman :crackup:

giggity, Lawn Dart and galloway840 like this.
  16. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

I think the real reason Portlanders hassled em out of business because they hate lesbos and Mexicans. /end left logic. I don’t get it though. I thought we could identify as whatever we felt like? What if they identified as old Mexican tortilla ladies? Those people are tortillaphobes.

badmoon692008 likes this.
  17. SGVRider

SGVRider Well-Known Member

Most places in LA are owned by a Korean and the cooks are Hispanic. Doesn’t matter the cuisine, they make it all.

18. StaccatoFan

StaccatoFan My 13 year old is faster than your President

To the OP. It’s a moving target. No matter how things change it’s just never going to be enough for the Liberals. I just go about my business for the most part and don’t care anymore.

19. Orvis

Orvis Well-Known Member

What's all the hassle about who is cooking what? It doesn't take a Mexican cook to cook Mexican food. Anybody that can follow a well developed recipe can cook excellent food.

20. crashman

crashman Grumpy old man

I might agree with you if it was another restaurant in Portland and they were actually chasing down recipes from chefs. It sounds like they were trying to make their story more interesting and embellished the trip and fact finding. Not sure I would use "ignorant" and "stupid" though. That seems a bit extreme. But then whenever I read mindless prattle that uses phrases like "cultural appropriation" I pretty much switch off. It really shows that people have had it too good for too long when they actually have time to get upset about crap like that. But it is Portland, home of lumberjack impersonators in skinny jeans and social justice.