1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Discharged Ballistic Lithium 4 cell Battery

Discussion in 'General' started by spcassell, Jun 19, 2013.

1. spcassell

spcassell Well-Known Member

So I tried cranking the bike after it sat for (gasp) six months. Battery was dead. Pulled the battery and put a volt meter and it read 5.59 volts. Reading the product data it said the battery is considered trash if it drops below 6 volts. Since I can't accept the fact that my only used one weekend battery is trash, I put it on a trickle charge (1.5 amps) for 40 minutes. Now the bike starts fine.

Scenario....... Track day this weekend. Is this battery going to crap out on me.

What is the appropriate way to charge these batteries.

2. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

3. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

instructions are to charge no more than 15 min Sean .. and with such little diff in weight of the 4 and 8 cell, i went with 8 cells for my bikes. Lil' late for that now, but if you get one later go with 8 on a 600. interesting about the 6vt or lower thing , check the vts again tomorrow ?

4. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

can we get a definate answer on wether or not we can use a battery tender (name brand) to charge these? Ski

5. 98VTRRider

98VTRRider Well-Known Member

When my 4 cell bit the dust I contacted Ballistic, then received a call from the president of the company, who quickly had a free 8 cell replacement sent out. Very good company to deal with.

6. MELK-MAN

MELK-MAN The Dude abides...

no, you can't use a battery tender. This has come up multiple times.
    15 minutes on a charger. Da'ts IT .. ;)
    i suppose you could use a battery tender.. for 15 minutes ! :)

7. spcassell

Thanks everyone.

8. Suburbanrancher

Suburbanrancher Chillzilla

Ballistic's customer service is exceptional - they'll take care of you.

9. Rebel635

Rebel635 Well-Known Member

Does the ballistic battery have balancing ports?

The issue is that each individual cell may sit higher or lower than each other...so even though your overall voltage is XX, some maybe higher, some lower....if you keep it charged you're gonna be over charging some cells and they hate that as much as discharging too much.

If it does have a balancing port, attach your volt meter to adjacent pins and read the voltage then move one over and read them all down the line.

Also, you may have revived it, but you took a big chuck out of the life expectancy

10. Metalhead

Metalhead Dong pilot

sp, I don't know jack about the ballistic batteries so I can't help with that. BUT, you might want to go to cycle gear and get the most low budget battery they have that will fit your bike. Charge it and take it with you as a back up. That's what I do.

I take a spare VR too. Those two things tend to die at track days.

11. Hyperdyne

Hyperdyne Indy United SBK

Chip and crew are fantastic to deal with. Both batteries I have had (4 and 6 cell) I took out of the bike during the winter storage and kept inside. Never had a problem.

12. Kurlon

Kurlon Well-Known Member

I use a Batt Tender Jr on mine at the track between sessions. Once the day is done it only stays plugged in till it shows green, then unplugged over night.

13. Rising

Rising Well-Known Member

I had a similar experience with the Alien Motion in my bike. I didn't measure the voltage but it was barely enough to get the nuetral light to illuminate. I figured I had killed it completely. I charged it at 2 amps for maybe an hour and it fired the bike like it was brand new. This was probably 2 years ago and the battery is still going strong. Maybe I got really lucky.

14. spcassell

I'm hoping this is my luck.

15. skidooboy

skidooboy supermotojunkie

i have the jr too, that is why i was asking. it doesnt have the desulfication mode. it is just a red light/green light charger.

the ballistic website shows "no special charger needed" but, then there is the "suggestion" to buy their charger. i just want to be sure i can do this or not.

i like to "maintain" the battery for long term useage as a track bike, it's one of those ocd things... Ski

16. theJrod

theJrod Well-Known Member

If they are protected li-ion cells, they have a "sleep" mode when they're drained too far. Some are designed to be brought back to life after being charged. Li-ion batteries are significantly different than lead acid batteries. I'm not sure how they even work on battery tenders...

http://www.batteryuniversity.com

17. Knotcher

Knotcher Well-Known Member

Unless you are using the balance charger. In that case there are several options for charging.

18. Cajun Kid

Cajun Kid Well-Known Member

Hey Bud,

Give me a call at 920-545-4956 or email me at [email protected]

It sounds like you may have saved it. If you have any problems with it I will get you sorted.

19. notbostrom

notbostrom DaveK broke the interwebs

and Boom, there ya go...Ballistic is good peeps

20. Mechdziner714

Mechdziner714 More Gas Less Brakes

So you can only ride for 15 minutes at a time, or do you have to disconnect the charging system?

What exactly is the upside to these batteries, other than a pound or two in weight savings?